26 March 2019 (tuesday) - A Glass of Plonk


I woke in something of a cold sweat in the early hours following a nightmare in which I had been seconded to work for the Church of England as a bishop on the strength of having an “O” level in Latin.
I didn’t really get back to sleep after that.

Over brekkie I watched last night’s episode of “Alan Partridge”, then did the first of the video lectures on the next section of my Coursera botany course. For all that plants are absolutely everywhere, when you really look at them closely and see what they do, they are *really* strange things. Far more so than any fictional alien I’ve ever come across in any sci-fi tale.
I then sparked up my lap-top for my morning’s root around the Internet. This morning there was not a single thing on my Facebook feed other than people selling things. Perhaps I was up and on-line too early? Seeing I also had no emails worth the electricity used to create and send them I did a little more of the necessary admin on my latest geo-project before setting off for work.

I spent a couple of minutes scraping the ice from the car's windscreen. Yesterday I started up the garden pond's filter thinking that spring as on the way, and this morning we had a heavy frost. Reality has got it wrong; the BBC said we are in for a warm spell.
I laughed out loud as I drove. The pundits on the radio announced that the Mexican government is seeking a formal apology from the Spanish authorities and the Pope for the behaviour of the conquistadors some five hundred years ago. How ridiculous. How can anyone alive today apologise for anything from so long ago?
The sad thing is that today's politicians *do* make apologies for stuff over which they could never have had any responsibility whatsoever.

There was also an interview with one of the ministers who resigned yesterday so that they could vote with Parliament so that the MPs could take over Brexit negotiations. This chap claimed that there are a myriad of schemes that Parliament hasn't debated. Admittedly most of them are stupid ideas, and very few have much support any MPs, but the plan is to consider loads of plans and throw out the most unworkable. Then reconsider all the suggestions again, and throw out what was then the most unworkable. And so on, until they are left with the least impractical suggestion.
Personally I would have thought it better to come up with the best idea rather than the least crap idea, but what do I know?

Work was rather fraught today; I was glad to get home. I sorted out five more geo-checkers before dinner. We had a rather good bit of scoff. A bottle of plonk, some port and stilton. The dogs helped me with that.
Not a bad evening…

No comments:

Post a Comment