6 December 2020 (Sunday) - Out in the Sticks

The dogs slept well, but I didn’t. I woke a couple of times every hour with the most intense headaches. What was that all about?
I came downstairs to a sea of turds. Poor Sid doesn’t like being shut out of the carpeted areas at night, but we have little choice. I sent him outside where he tiddled like a thing possessed; fortunately it is only dung with which he has problems. The joy of dogs…
 

 

I opened my Lego Advent Calendar and had another “WTF” moment, then made toast. I opened a fresh pot of margarine as Pogo ate the last one last night, then sparked up my lap-top. I had a message to tell me I’d been tagged in a post on the national geocaching page. There is a problem in that some trackable codes have been made public on a spoiler list. Something similar happened to me a while ago. There is a chap in Australia who delights in doing this. He either thinks he is providing a public service by giving these spoilers, or he gets off on the reactions he sparks on various Internet forums. In the past I used to rise to the bait with the best of them. Today I don’t even follow that page anymore.

Facebook told me a friend had a birthday today… I suppose he did, but he died last January. Did you know that Facebook allows you to assign someone who can pull the plug on your Facebook account when you die? I wonder what happens to all the other accounts – do they just stay there for evermore? I suppose (if nothing else) they are a little keepsake.

 

I programmed “Hannah” for the day, we got ourselves organised, and drove out to the middle of nowhere.

Earlier in the year I hid a series of geocaches which really were out in the sticks, and I thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea to see if they were still there. Following tier three rules we met Karl, Tracey and Charlotte who helped us do a geo-maintenance run.

We had a mostly good walk; it was certainly a lot muddier than when I put the series out in July. And there were a lot more pheasants too. Treacle got rather over-excited about them, and Fudge went missing for half an hour in pursuit of them. Amazingly Pogo is fast becoming the best behaved of the three.

Geocache-wise it was an eye-opener. Having put the caches out myself, quite a few had moved to different locations. Maybe only a few feet away from where I’d left them but had definitely moved. And half a dozen had been replaced. There are those who would lay eggs about that, and rightly so since according to the rules people shouldn’t do that, but I wish I knew who had replaced them so I could thank them. Each replaced geocache represented a journey I didn’t have to make to go out to replace it myself.

And knowing where they were all supposed to be certainly made for a quicker walk.

 

I took a few photos as we walked. Once home the dogs had a bath (they were filthy), and I posted photos to the Internet and amended some of the cache descriptions from how I’d created them to how they have become.

I phoned my mum… she’s not at all well. She’s bearing up well bearing in mind how ill she is. Like pretty much everyone else she has no understanding of what I do at work and assumes I am some sort of doctor (I am NOT!), and she asked me how long I thought she had left.

How do you answer that?

 

"er indoors TM" boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the third episode of “Raised By Wolves” – a rather good sci-fi series. I won’t give any spoilers, but it is rather reminiscent of Earth 2 and BattleStar Galactica.

It was rather good to have dinner without an audience. Rather then scrounging, all dogs were fast asleep. Today’s walk has rather worn them all out.

It has worn me out too… and my face is glowing. I’ve caught the sun today… three (and a bit) weeks before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment