17 December 2020 (Thursday) - Bit Dull

I was sleeping like a log when my phone beeped with a message to tell me that my new broadband router would be delivered sometime in the following fourteen hours. That was rather imprecise, wasn’t it?
I came downstairs to a sea of turds. Having been rather good all week, Sid had rather excelled himself overnight. I gathered turds, had a shave and made some toast which I scoffed whilst peering into the Internet. Four Facebook friends had birthdays today. Two people I used to work with, a distant cousin, and one who might just have told Facebook a porky about his age.
Some teacher friends of mine were whinging on-line about how hard being a teacher is. Their Christmas holiday started a few days ago, and their work doesn’t resume until the new year. This year I have one of the longest Christmas breaks I have ever had – three days. And a family member was posting photos of his garden – he can get fourteen cars parked in the drive outside his house in the countryside. He pays for that by writing articles for magazines that no one reads.

Yet again I find myself questioning my career choices.

 

With "er indoors TM" having a day off we both took the dogs down to Orlestone for a rather muddy walk. Fudge straggled, all the dogs spuddled in stagnant ponds… Their behaviour is far worse when "er indoors TM" is along for the walk.

But with "er indoors TM" having the day off she got to bath the dogs. Result ! We then had a cuppa and as we did so "er indoors TM"’s phone beeped. Her Amazon delivery had arrived and been “handed to the resident”. Really? We found it laying outside the front door. Home delivery is all very well when you can be sure of getting that which you are ordering.

I told the world about today’s Advent adventure and set off to Matalan. My works trousers are getting a tad threadbare. Unfortunately they didn't have any in my size. Few clothing shops cater for the more rotund gentleman, and fewer still cater for the fat-arsed. I shall have a look on-line.

 

I drove to work. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how pandemics never stopped Shakespeare. They were talking in such a way that they rather expected their audience to know all about his works. I must admit I don't. I read Julius Caesar for O-level English literature, and our English teacher did his utmost to kill the play stone-dead. Looking back he did the same with several other books that turned out to be actually rather good (Lord of the Flies, All Quiet on the Western Front, Fahrenheit 451, 2001 - A Space Odyssey to name but four). Perhaps I should give Shakespeare another chance. 

I got to work and did my bit... whilst hobbling about. I twisted my knee yesterday and I think that I didn't do it any favours by going out in the mud on it today. As I hobbled "er indoors TM" sent a message to say that the router arrived some time in the mid-afternoon. And that she’d poggered her car window. That’s useful…

No comments:

Post a Comment