21 December 2020 (Monday) - Not Doing Chrstmas Cards

I went to the loo in the small hours and as I walked a furry bullet flew past me. Fudge was desperate to get out. Whether he needed a pee or needed to play silly beggars was a matter of conjecture - he does like running round the garden in the dark. He didn't run round it for long - it was pouring hard at three o'clock this morning. Sid wanted to go out as well - I saw that as a minor victory.
With dogs having gone out and (more importantly) come back in I then went back to bed where I lay wide awake for a couple of hours before giving up trying to sleep and getting up.

I made toast, and whilst everyone else snored I watched an episode of "Big Mouth" before having a look at the Internet. Facebook was heaving with posts supporting Boris Johnson this morning. The general thrust of people's arguments was that he was doing the best he could in a poor situation.

I must admit I disagree with that. If you keep up with the news it is apparent that Boris Johnson is not a man of action. He is a man of inaction. Rather than leading decisively and talking decisions that could have a positive effect, he tends to let matters slide. Opportunities are missed and in the end avoidable events dictate poor outcomes. But because most people *don't* keep up with the news, most people miss this and don't realise that Boris Johnson is generally in a mess of his own making. The current Brexit debacle and the hated Tier 4 restrictions are both examples of that.

 

As I drove to work (through the rain) the pundits on the radio were talking about Brexit and Tier 4 restrictions and how the Port of Dover is closed. As I drove west-ward along the M20 there was not a single vehicle heading east-wards as the motorway was closed east-bound. The French have banned all travel from the UK (for totally avoidable reasons) and who can blame them?

 

I drove to Sainsburys. Rather than giving out Christmas cards to colleagues I'd decided to give them sweeties, flapjacks and cookies for the simple reason that given the choice of either a Christmas card or sweeties, flapjacks and cookies, I know what I'd rather have.

Sainsbury's was heaving at 7.30am this morning.  What with many people's Christmas plans having gone tits up (thank you Prime Minister) a lot of people were panic-buying the ingredients for the Christmas dinners which they had hoped someone else would be cooking for them. Me - I was panic-buying toilet roll. I was rather amazed to see shelves full of the stuff and so I thought I'd get some before everyone else had the idea of panic-buying.

The fact that we needed some was neither here nor there.

 

I got to work, bit my bit, and came home down the A20. I had been expecting the journey from hell coming home (what with the motorway being closed) but I was only twenty minutes late getting home.

"er indoors TM" boiled up pie and chips which we scoffed whilst watching the first episode of “Moonbase 8”. I won’t say it was crap, but we won’t be bothering with the second episode.

I told the world about today’s instalment of the Advent adventure, then called up the website of the goat sanctuary. What with one thing and another we’ve not got ourselves organised enough to give out Christmas cards this year, and so rather than giving out cards, I’ve made a donation to the goats. 

And in closing today this is (probably) the last blog entry to be posted through the current Internet connection. If there is no update tomorrow you’ll know that the great broadband swap-over went horribly wrong…

No comments:

Post a Comment