2 December 2020 (Wednesday) - Paying Too Much?

Sid was particularly shouty this morning. I wonder what that was all about. He eventually shut up and I scoffed a bowl of muesli whilst watching an episode of “People Just Do Nothing” before sparking up my lap-top.

Last night I saw a friend was posting on Facebook about changing his electricity and gas supplier. Earlier in the year I spent an age investigating the cheapest available option and went with… let’s just say the company I’d been with for years. Having signed up for what really was the cheapest deal I could find I’m now locked in until April 2022, and am paying about three or four times what I would be paying with Octopus Energy. But this reminded me that three weeks ago I contacted the power company because my smart meter was playing up and they still hadn’t replied. I logged into my account with that power company last night and it told me that my monthly estimated energy costs were almost (but not quite) thirty thousand pounds. Unfortunately their live chat thingy was broken. I sent them a message via WhatsApp (!) as their website suggested. This morning as I scoffed my brekkie they told me that their waiting times were longer than expected and that they would be with me as soon as possible.

 

I also saw my Lego Advent Calendar had got quite a few “likes” but reading the comments I don’t think that all of the people seeing the post quite understood what it was about. Perhaps they don’t have voices in their heads to explain it to them?

I checked my emails – I had a “Needs Maintenance” request on one of my geocaches. Apparently the plastic bag in which I had put the paper log had gone from one of the pots I’d hidden. For those of my loyal readers who don’t hunt Tupperware, this is possibly the most trivial reason imaginable to demand that I drop everything to make an utterly unnecessary maintenance trip. And the same person wrote “didn’t find” logs on caches that she didn’t find because she’d given up and gone home because it was raining.

I had a whinge about it on the local Facebook geocaching page and found myself squabbling with two snowflakes who had never before posted there.

 

Once I'd scraped the ice off of my car I set off to work. As I drove the pundits on the radio were spouting their usual drivel.

The Chinese have landed a probe on the Moon, and intend to fetch some Moon rocks back to Earth. They will come in handy seeing how the Americans have lost one hundred and eighty-four of theirs.

There was also talk of the COVID-19 vaccine that today was licenced for public use in the UK. There are a lot of people who are sceptical about this and feel that the thing has been rushed. I would ask them specifically what was wrong with the testing regime that the MHRA employed, and specifically what further testing they would like to see. (Waving hands in the air and vaguely saying "more testing" because they don't have the faintest idea, or spouting crackpot conspiracy theories aren't acceptable answers here)

And I was rather bemused as to why the BBC would waste valuable peak-time air-time on today's "Thought For The Day" in which some archdeacon or other prattled on for two minutes about how nice Christmas card are.

 

Work was much the same as ever. I did my bit and came home again. I put some washing in, and "er indoors TM" got KFC for dinner. She then vanished upstairs to do a Zoom meeting with her pals. I sparked up Netflix and watched a film. Or half of a film. “Adult Life Skills” was a total load of old tripe which I turned off half-way through. Others might disagree with me - if ever you get the chance to watch “Adult Life Skills” why not give it a go. You might like it. I didn’t. 

Oh – and I’m still waiting to hear back about my smart meter…


No comments:

Post a Comment