10 December 2020 (Thursday) - Another Day Off

As I scoffed toast I saw that my Facebook feed has changed. Rather then being filled with adverts for ladies underwear featuring scantily-clad young ladies, I am now being bombarded with adverts for overpriced beer. For those of my loyal readers who don’t drink the stuff, if you are thinking of getting a beer-drinker a Christmas pressie, here’s a tip. If it says “craft beer” and comes in a tin, forget it. There seems to be a growth industry in selling half-pint tins at pint prices.

I’m never going to buy either of them but given the choice I’d rather see the pictures of the saucy ladies.

Also I saw that (yet again) aliens have been found. There have been negotiations for Earth to join their federation which were supposedly held on Mars. Apparently the whole thing was to be announced by Donald Trump but the Galactic Federation stepped in "to prevent mass hysteria".

Have you ever noticed that the political affiliation “Federation” is a term which is only ever used in outer space?

 

Fudge was quivering as he sat with me. He’s shivered a couple of times on recent walks where he gets cold, but he wasn’t cold this morning. It says on the Internet (so it must be true) that older dogs quiver when in pain; is his back playing him up again? But he soon perked up when he got wind we were going out. But bearing in mind he has got cold recently I insisted he wore his coat. He sulked for a few minutes, but by the time we’d driven to Hemsted Forest he’d got over it.

Regular readers of this drivel may recall that I hid a series of geocaches in the woods at Hemsted Forest about eighteen months ago. Recently I had reports that three of them had gone missing. With a day free, and dogs needing a walk I thought that I might do a complete circuit of that geo-series today, sorting any issues as we went.

We had a relatively good walk. It was incredibly muddy. About half a mile into the mud we met an idiot in his best trainers and jeans, with mud all the way up to his knees and a dog who was rather scatty (to say the least). At first he seemed rather frightened that I had said hello to him. I got the distinct impression that he rarely (if ever) walks his dog, and *never* visits woodlands. He commented that he hadn’t come out prepared for the conditions… I smiled. Who wears their best trainers in the woods in December? We met other dog walkers too – we met a very friendly Bassett hound, and a little later we met two very friendly Beagles. And my dogs were most indignant when their horse-poo-eating was heckled by passing joggers.

I replaced two of the caches that had been reported as missing; the third was laying out in the open. And I replaced one that had recent “Found It” logs that I couldn’t find. I checked that all the others were fit for purpose, and (hopefully) I shouldn’t need to go out there for some time. In fact with one hundred and sixteen finds over eighteen months I think it is fair to say that the series has pretty much run its course. Perhaps in the new year I might think about replacing it. Possibly adding a second loop in the northern part of the woods.

 

I took a few photos whilst we walked. Once home I bathed the dogs then posted the photos on-line whilst "er indoors TM" sorted out some soup.

I dozed in front of the telly until "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" and "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" came crashing through the front door. They got the rats to pee all over my Lego town, scattered pomegranate fragments all through the living room, churned the lawn to mud, and then set off with “skinhead”. I’d not seen “skinhead” for a while – it was good to catch up. 

I told the world about today’s Lego adventure, and that was pretty much it for the day. A walk in the mud and a sleep in front of the telly. Not a bad day off really…

No comments:

Post a Comment