22 December 2020 (Tuesday) - New Broadband

"er indoors TM" and the dogs slept very well last night - I don't know who was snoring the loudest, but I clouted all of them several times during the night.

I got up and wasted five minutes chasing Sid round the back yard before making brekkie. As I settled down to scoff it I tuned in to Netflix only to get a "Quack-Quack-Oops" message. Overnight the old broadband provider had clearly thrown in the sponge. I scoffed toast and set off for work.

 

As I drove the pundits on the radio were dribbling on about the traffic chaos on the M20 and were talking about how the east-bound carriageway was now open. Don't believe what you hear - it wasn't open.

There was also talk about traffic chaos in France featuring a frankly embarrassing interview with the manager of the port of Calais who spoke several disjointed and contradictory phrases before announcing that he had another phone call waiting, and hanging up. I've said before that the presenter of Radio Four should avoid live interviews unless they are sure that the person to who they are speaking won't be a total waste of air-time.

There was a lot of speculation about the new strain of the COVID virus in which the presenter tried (and failed) to simplify PhD level virology into layman's terms.

 

Like yesterday I'd left home expecting motorway madness, and again I got to work far faster than I had expected. I went for a little walk (scattering Munzees as I went) before getting on with the day's round.
Just as I started so "er indoors TM" sent a text. She wasn't happy that the internet connection wasn't working. Being twenty-five miles away I felt brave enough to remind her that I'd told her about this several times over the last few weeks.

At half past nine she texted to say the new broadband was working.

At half past ten she texted to say it wasn't.

At quarter to eleven she texted to say the new broadband was working again, and that the police had called asking if we had heard anything on Saturday evening.

Just as I came back from lunch I had a message from the old broadband provider to say that they'd jacked it all in.

An hour later I had a text from Sky to say the new broadband was up and running and that they would be testing it in ten days’ time (!)

 

Bearing in mind the chaos on the motorway I checked Google Map's traffic information before leaving work this evening. It told me the quickest way home would be via the M20 which bypassed the heavy traffic on the M20 (?)

I came home down the M20’s “Operation Brock” contraflow past several miles of queuing lorries. There were speed limits, but I got home much quicker than yesterday.

 

Once home it was a matter of seconds to get my phone and lap-top up and running on the new broadband connection and I told the world about today’s Advent instalment, Compared to the hard work that was sorting out the transfer of my mobile phone, the broadband seems to have gone painlessly.

I wonder if it will still be working tomorrow…?

No comments:

Post a Comment