29 October 2009 (Thursday) - Remembering Bob...


I mentioned Bob Ross yesterday. Had he lived, he would have been 67 today. He is one of my heroes. It’s one of my greatest regrets that I never met the chap – when I first started daubing oil paint around and buying his books, it came as something of a shock to find he’d died some years previously. But he told us all that we could paint, and (to my utter amazement) he was right. And when I visit family and friends, quite often hanging on a wall somewhere there’s a half-way decent painting which I’ll admire, and then after a few minutes I’ll realise “I did that!”. And then get all self-conscious because I’m admiring my own painting. And then, every time, I offer up silent gratitude to Bob who made it possible. Bob Ross developed a school of painting which was absolutely hated by the art world, because he showed the Great Unwashed that art wasn’t just the province of the “artist”. We can all paint. I must get my paints out again sometime.

Also, I see that AstroBash has made the papers today. The front page of the Ashford Extra, and a centre page spread in the Kentish Express. And still gripped with enthusiasm about the weekend’s event, being on a late start I spent more time preparing my talk on Saturn. That’s several hours work so far, and I haven’t even got a date for the presentation. I’m guessing January or February.

And the telly finally went today. I’m sorry, but I think that taking three days for the buyer to contact me is a tad unreasonable…

No comments:

Post a Comment