30 August 2024 (Friday) - Before the Late Shift

I slept reasonably well. Apparently “er indoors TM didn’t. The pleasant fragrance of Pogo’s farting woke her at three o’clock and she spent quite a bit of the rest of the night letting him out to the garden.
 
Over brekkie I had my usual root around the Internet. Here’s a sign of our times; the future of Littlehampton’s annual bonfire parade is looking shaky. Thousands of people flock there every year for the fun, but not enough people are volunteering to help out.
And people wanting to go to nearby Camber Sands are facing four hour traffic jams to get there. Personally I can’t see the attraction of sitting on the beach, but what do I know? Someone else was posting that Camber Sands was a dog friendly beach. Seriously? With all those people about? The phrase “dog friendly” is one which needs a lot of qualification. When Camber Sands is billed as a “dog friendly” beach that means dogs are allowed on there. However “friendly” implies they are welcome and wanted. I’m pretty sure most of the holidaymakers swarming there don’t want dogs in their way. In the same vein there’s a pub in the Medway Towns which is billed as “dog friendly”. It has a petting zoo in the garden the smells of which send dogs crazy.
 
I got the dogs organized and we went out to the car. As I drove I was hoping “Desert Island Discs” would be on the radio; it often is shortly after nine o’clock on a Friday. But it wasn’t. There was coverage of the Paralympics instead. I turned the radio off. For me sport is something that is done. Watching someone else doing sport is rather dull for me, and listening to someone shrieking about the sport he is watching isn’t riveting.
 
We soon got to the woods. Following the success we had at Orlestone a little while ago I thought we’d try there again. The dogs came when called, and we didn’t see anyone else at all. There was one other car in the car park, but we saw no one as we went round. Morgan chased a squirrel the size of a fox, and Bailey rolled in something foul; a good walk was had by all. We will go back.
For all that Kings Wood is good for a long walk, it is a twenty minute drive away. And Longbeech is ten minutes further on. We can go from putting leads on at home to letting the dogs out of the boot at Orlestone in nine minutes.
As we walked I experimented with my phone in airplane mode. Where we are going on holiday in a few weeks’ time is classified as “rest of the word” by my mobile provider. Mobile data is charged at four quid per megabyte and I dread to think what receiving the spamming texts and phone calls will cost. But I want to use the phone as a camera. Airplane mode worked for that, and as an added bonus the GPS and geocache app seemed to work too.
 
With walk walked we came home. I washed the fox poo from Bailey then popped up to the corner shop where I got an almond croissant. I got one for “er indoors TM as well; I’m kind like that. I sparked up the lap-top and as I so often do before the late shift I wrote up some CPD.
As I sorted out a simulated blood transfusion complicated by the vagaries of the Duffy blood group system there was a knock at the door. The postman had a parcel. Or to be precise, postwoman. I could see she was a postwoman from what she wasn’t wearing. To be honest she would have appeared more demure had she delivered the parcel stark naked.
 
And so to work… and as is so often the way on the late shifts, everything of note today had happened by mid day.

No comments:

Post a Comment