27 August 2024 (Tuesday) - Early Shift

I woke feeling full of life and raring to go only to find it wasn’t quite two o’clock. I lay awake for a few hours, then got up and watched an episode of “Brassic” over brekkie. Our heroes were raiding a cannabis farm in an ice cream van.
 
Taking care not to disturb “er indoors TM and the dogs I got ready for work. As I left the house I was a tad miffed to see an empty parking space outside the house big enough for two cars. When we came home from the woods last night I'd had to park three streets away. We really should move somewhere with off-street parking.
As I drove to work there was a lot of talk about the new Prime Minister making a speech today, and of the ex-Prime Minister bad-mouthing him. Also there was a lot of talk about the upcoming televised debate between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump who are supposedly having an on-screen squabble in a couple of weeks' time. Doesn't this sum up politics these days? It's not about what the politicians actually do. It's all about what they say and how they say it.
I was reminded of the Junior Debating Society from my days at secondary school when one of the teachers taught us the noble art of debate. He really did teach us how to say that shit was sugar in such a way that everyone believed it. But more importantly how to say it in such a way to make the person with who we were debating look stupid; even though they were completely right and we were totally wrong.
 
I got to work and made a cuppa before I started. As I swilled it down I had a look on Facebook. A friend had got engaged over the weekend. He'd already bought a house with his girlfriend having been living with her for quite some time... Isn't this a sign of our times. Engagement and wedding aren't a thing any more. I know so many people wo have bought houses with their partners and raised families, but have no intention of getting married or engaged.
 
Work was a tad dull today. As I mentioned yesterday for a seaside restaurant this is the busiest time of the year, Not so for a hospital where the workload noticeably goes down during school holidays. It always has. During a lull in a rather dull day I spent a little time peering at the goldfinches bathing in the puddles in the flat roof outside our window. There's a colony of goldfinches which lives in the tree outside our window, and when no-one's watching me, I watch them intently.
 
An early start made for an early finish. I did have a vague plan to take the dogs to the woods when I got home, but it was rather warm. The dogs leapt up to see me, we fed the fish, and they all went back to sleep. They weren’t up for a walk. Instead we fed the fish and I gathered dog turds.
 
“er indoors TM went off to blood donors. There’s a little thing that boils my piss. Blood donors my piss. Blood donors donate blood or give blood. No one “donesblood, but I get wound up by how so many people think that “doning” blood is a thing.
As it happened the donation session was cancelled.
We scoffed a rather good bit of dinner whilst watching more “Below Deck”. I found the yacht’s web site and did some sums… the average charter is for three days and is for six people. If four of my loyal readers fancy joining me and “er indoors TM it would only cost us twenty thousand quid each…

No comments:

Post a Comment