1 July 2023 (Saturday) - Crazy Golf Day

Bailey woke me by stomping on my chest in some agitation at seven o’clock this morning. Being a very small dog, she is too small to get on and off the bed without help. I lifted her down and she flew to the back garden where she did what dogs do in the garden. Objectively speaking it was a rather average dog turd, but bearing in mind how small she is, it would have been the equivalent of me doing one the size of a two-litre bottle of pop.
As Albert Einstein once remarked, “everything’s relative”.
 
I made toast and had a look at the Internet. I saw that today was Ashford’s food and drink festival. That had been a well-kept secret. Had I known about it with more than four hours’ notice I might have planned things differently for today.
 
We drove round to the co-op as I needed cash. We got there and my idiot magnet was on top form. There was some half-wit standing by the bakery telling the world that he was only looking and that he’d come all the way from Newtown. No one cared, but that didn’t stop him going on constantly like a stuck record.
From the co-op we went on to Dog Club. As we drove into the Repton estate so the dogs all started squeaking; they knew where they were going.
Dog club was great fun; the pups charged around and played. Treacle grumped at everyone. But for all that Treacle is a grump, she’s slowly improving. At one point I opened a bag of treats and half a dozen other dogs swarmed around me for a treat. A few months ago there would have been no way that Treacle would tolerate non-family dogs around me when I had treats (and she wouldn’t have been impressed at the family dogs either). Back then she would have aggressively chased them all away. Today she tolerated them, took her treat when it was her turn, and didn’t react at all when I shared treats with the other dogs.
An incredibly simple and trivial thing, but a giant leap forward for her.
 
As we drove home we listened to Steve on the radio. We got a mention, but I had a failure on the mystery year. I had announced it was *definitely* either 1992 or 1984. It was actually 1985. I wasn’t *that* far out.
Once home we had the obligatory Saturday morning Belgian bun. Today’s were from the co-op which (in my humble opinion!) does the best Belgian buns.
 
We settled the dogs (who were worn out after Dog Club) then made our way to Hastings Sea Front where the family was a gathering in what has become a family tradition. Crazy Golf Day. Once we’d had an ice cream a couple of dozen of us set off round the pirate golf course and had a great time. Daddy’s Little Angel TM” got two holes in one through (so I am reliably informed)really skillful golfing TM”. “er indoors TM also got a hole in one. Darcie Waa Waa TM had been handed a golf ball to amuse her which she would randomly fling in all directions and she too got a hole in one.
I didn’t.
With golf golfed and prizes awarded we had fish and chips. The seagulls were incredibly brazen; snatching food from our hands. Darcie Waa Waa TM was rather impressed with them, shouting “Dog Dog Dog” at them.
 
We then went over to the Albion for a pint, then went our various ways. My way was (with my brother) up to the Anchor for a pint of Spitfire. Then on to the Pump House for a pint of Whitstable Bay. That pint was off, but the helpful staff soon changed it, and suitably refreshed we went up to the Hastings Arms for another pint of Spitfire. A pint of Hophead in the Dolphin was followed by a pint of London Pride in the Cinque Ports, and an amaretto chaser in the Stag. No trip to Hastings Old Town is complete without a pint in the FILO (Churches pale ale) and then back to the Hastings Arms for another Spitfire and some dinner.
Five hours after everyone else had headed home I got on the train where I fulfilled yet another tradition… I fell asleep on the train, got all the way home, and then went half-way back to Hastings before waking.
Oh, how I chuckled.
Mind you what annoyed me most was the train’s guard/ticket collector who admitted she’d seen me fast asleep at Ashford station and thought it would be a great joke to leave me sleeping. A friend who works on the railway often complains that he’s had irate customers spitting at him when on duty. With this attitude I can quite understand why…
But a quick phone call to “er indoors TM saved the day. She didn’t mind driving out to get me at all (!)
 
I took a few photos of my day. It was a rather good one really.

No comments:

Post a Comment