17 July 2023 (Monday) - New Lap-top


I slept through till nearly eight o’clock this morning as did “er indoors TM who had forgotten to set her alarm. I took the dogs outside and had a refusal from Morgan. It had rained overnight and he’s not keen on wet ground. But he didn’t have a choice, and I waited with him until he did that which was expected of him. Eventually he did (clearly under protest) and I made toast and had a look on-line. Not much seemed to be going on in the Internet really. For something which takes up an inordinate amount of my time, it can be rather dull at times.
Mind you I had an email from Credit Karma who congratulated me on (yet again) paying my credit card bill on time. I’ve complained to the bank before about their letting Credit Karma know my business but apparently all banks tell this sort of thing to anyone who asks. Or so the bank told me.
 
With no rain forecast for three hours I loaded the dogs into the car and we drove up to Kings Wood. As we arrived the sky looked a bit iffy, but with blind faith in the BBC we set off. Five minutes later we were sheltering under trees cowering from the downpour, and ten minutes later we were in the car and heading home. As we drove so the weather continually alternated between bright sunshine and torrential rain.
 
My plan for today had been to walk the dogs then see about tidying the shed and having a spruce-up in the garden. But the rain had put paid to that. So instead I went on a little shopping spree to get some odds and sods.
First of all to B&M Bargains where yesterday “er indoors TM had spotted some ornaments for the garden’s fences. I negotiated my way round the “rather special and delightful” people who infest B&M Bargains; one of whom was getting rather irate at the till. Having acquired a money-off voucher he was trying to see if the till staff would just give him cash for it rather than money off of anything he might have bought. To be fair to the shop staff they would probably have been more interested if it looked like he hadn’t drawn the voucher himself.
From B&M I went to B&Q to get some storage drawers for tidying up the crap and clutter in the shed. It has to be said there’s a lot of crap (and no shortage of clutter) to be tidied up.
And then I went to Currys. I’ve been thinking about a new laptop for ages as the old one takes an age to start up, keeps hanging, and the labels on the A, S, E, H and L keys have completely worn away. Jose told me the average lap-top is good for three to four years; the old one had done seven, so I think I got my money’s worth from it. I walked into Currys at ten past eleven. I waited. And waited. As I stood there so four other people came in, got served and carried their purchases out. At twenty to twelve (after half an hour of waiting) I walked out. As I walked out so the chap who had been so studiously ignoring me asked if he could help me. I said that he could have done so half an hour previously, and that I would spend thousands of pounds somewhere else. Having conspicuously deliberately ignored me for half an hour this chap then pretended he had no idea I had been waiting. I told him that it was very unlikely that he had not seen me, but all the other staff had and they had ignored me too. As I walked off so he continued blustering after me.
 
I took my shopping home, then drove down to Folkestone. The motorway was like a river, the rain was that hard. The Folkestone branch of Currys was *completely* different to the Ashford one; I was greeted by helpful staff the instant I walked into the shop, and the chap there took me through all the lap-tops on display. Fifteen minutes later I came out with a new one, and a 2Tb hard drive for backup purposes as well.
 
Seeing a break in the rain I drove to the coast to see if “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” and  “Darcie Waa Waa TM fancied McLunch. They had been out for a walk on the Leas where there had been no rain all day. Torrential in Cheriton, completely dry a mile away.
We had a good spot of McLunch, but here’s a tip. If you use the self-service machines you can pimp your burger. Don’t ask for extra sauce on your Big Mac; I didn’t so much have a Big Mac as the ingredients of a Big Mac all swimming about in a sea of some strange pink juice.
 
I came home, and started the rather tedious business of backing up all of the stuff from the old lap-top that I need on my new one. That took some time. And with back-up backed up I activated the new lap-top. Once I’d logged into my Microsoft and Google accounts I was amazed how much the thing automatically restored for itself, but it still took over an hour to get it to the bare minimum of readiness.
 
With “er indoors TM off bowling I spent a couple of hours doing the ironing, then had a go at posting this blog entry from the new lap-top. I hope it worked…

No comments:

Post a Comment