27 July 2023 (Thursday) - Early Shift

I had a better night's sleep last night. As I've said before, it helps when everyone else is settled.
I made toast, watched some telly, saw that pretty much nothing had happened on-line, and set off to work through the drizzle.
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about "Martyn's Law"; a new law named in tribute of Martyn Hett, who was killed alongside twenty-one other people in the Manchester Arena terrorist attack of 2017. The idea is to protect public safety but as is so often the case, bureaucracy has made a nonsense out of a very sensible idea. Apparently village halls will need formal security arrangements (when they don't) but pop-up markets (the sort of places that terrorists strike) won't.
There was an interview with the mother of Martyn Hett, and (like most live radio) not a lot of thought or preparation had gone into the interview. The woman being interviewed clearly had a houseful (presumably a party in honour of her being on the radio) and she couldn't hear the interviewer over the background noise. And the interviewer was haranguing this poor woman about the many failings of this law. Clearly she had nothing to do with the wording of the law or its implementation and to make her apologise for the failings of something which was nothing to do with her was rather unfair.
 
There was also talk about the overnight coup in Niger. The military have taken command. Col Maj Amadou Abdramane appeared on the local telly (flanked by nine other uniformed soldiers) and announced: "We, the defence and security forces... have decided to put an end to the regime you know... this follows the continuing deterioration of the security situation, and poor economic and social governance."
Apparently the general public over there have now got the arse as they only elected their new President last year. As I said the other day, democracy is a wonderful thing all the time those you elect are doing what you want them to do. Demonstrably when they don't, it is up to whoever feels the need to do the democratic thing of making sure they get their own way. As Ron and Russell once said (sang) "Might makes right though you’re wrong".
 
Meanwhile the American Congress has convened a panel to look into UAPs. UAPs? No - I had no idea either. It would seem that unidentified anomalous phenomenon (UAPs) is the modern phrase for UFOs. Presumably because if you talk about UAPs no one knows what you are talking about, but if you talk about UFOs, everyone thinks you are a half-wit.
Either way we're still in denial that it might be aliens.
Meanwhile whilst Congress argues, the aliens would seem to have pranged a spaceship on Mars.
 
I stopped off at the petrol station on my way to work. It was rather busy for seven o'clock in the morning. Mind you when I say "busy" there were cars parked at most of the pumps, but no one at all with these cars, and no one but me in the kiosk. What was going on there?
 
I'd been asked to do the early shift today. I was up for that. I always get to work relatively early anyway, and getting there a tad earlier than usual means I get home nearly two hours earlier than usual. Pretty much all of my colleagues hate the earlies as they have housefuls to feed and organise and pack off to play school, school, college and work. Me - I just try not to wake “er indoors TM or any of the dogs in the morning.
Work was the same as ever, but getting out early meant I got to take the dogs to the woods. We went to Orlestone where they ran round like things possessed. I wouldn’t say their behavior is worse in Orlestone than in Kings Wood, but they certainly stay closer to me in Kings Wood than they do in Orlestone. I took advantage of their running further today by practicing whistle training. It worked rather well.
 
With walk walked I then got the lawn mower out and scalped the lawn. The plan is that we’ll need it relatively short for the weekend… weather permitting.
I wonder if the weather will permit?

No comments:

Post a Comment