25 July 2023 (Tuesday) - This n That

My piss boiled somewhat as I watched an episode of "Shameless" this morning. The entire plot hinged on a character being held prisoner in a hospital ward by the machinations of one crooked member of staff. This was clearly just not possible in real life, and was pure laziness on the part of the writers. Fiction only works if it is plausible, and sadly this morning's episode wasn't.
I had a quick look at the Internet. It turned out there had been a geo-meet yesterday lunchtime not a mile from work. That had been either a well-kept secret, or a warning that I should really pay more attention to what is going on. Bearing in mind the thing was publicised  and that I'd had an email about it, I suspect the latter. It's amazing what you miss if you don't stay alert, as Zaphod Beeblebrox once remarked.
 
I set off to work. As I drove up the motorway there was a mile or so of lorries being held as part of "Operation Brock" as part of the government's plan to pogger all cross-channel traffic. I'm not saying the pre-Brexit arrangements were perfect, but they were certainly streets ahead of what happens these days.
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were interviewing several Israeli citizens about what their government did over the weekend. Details on what it actually did were rather sparse. Some new laws were brought in, or some old laws repealed... I don't know. But the attitudes of those being interviewed spoke volumes. Some didn't like what the government had done and were furious that they felt that they now lived in a dictatorship rather than a democracy. Others who were in favour of whatever had happened were furious about how an anti-democratic fraction were trying to oppose the government.
As the argument went on it became clear that for everyone being interviewed "democracy" was synonymous with "what I want", and that electing a government is only a democratic act all the time that government is doing that which the specific individual in question wants (and nothing else).
Can't beat "the will of the people", eh?
And then there was an interview with a Labour MP and a (trans) Lib-Dem councillor about the changes in the Labour Party's official position of what actually constitutes being a "trans woman". Details about the official position were sadly lacking, but the general feeling was that in order to be legally recognised as a woman one should do more than put on a dress and demand to be called "Brenda". The Labour MP made a rather good and reasoned case about how easy it is to invade women-only safe spaces, but sadly the (trans) Lib-Dem councillor wittered on at great length not really making much sense to me, and then shot herself (?) in the foot by saying that none of her constituents have the slightest interest in trans issues.
Don't these two incidents sum up today's world, though? Two separate and unrelated things about which the specific details are vague (at best) but still there was no shortage of people willing to go on national radio to argue about them.
 
I got to work and had something of a "platelet clumping" sort of day. I get those; quite possibly more than most.
In between clumps I carried on filling out forms for my semi-retirement which is now (hopefully) less than seven months away.
 
And with work worked I came home, and had a little look at the monthly accounts. They have been a whole lot worse; but (as always) am I wrong in wanting to have far too much money? I'm hoping that this relative affluence will continue in seven months' time when the planned semi-retirement comes. The idea is that retirement will put me on half-wages, but still working two and a half days each week will leave me on the same money. The trouble is that being at work stops me squandering. Being away from work for half the week will (quite probably) give me far too much opportunity to squander. 

No comments:

Post a Comment