8 February 2023 (Wednesday) - This n That

As I stood in the garden at half past five this morning shivering as the puppies "did their thing" I found myself wondering. As they are getting older they are quite capable of going into the garden on their own to tiddle. Why do they insist that I go with them? They aren't happy if I don't go with them; if I don't, they both come back to find me.
After what seemed to be an age, eventually they both found the exact spot on which to tiddle, and I took them up to bother “er indoors TM, then made toast.
 
After yesterday's debacle of Netflix's "Physical 100" I've started re-watching "Downton Abbey". The mansion that was used for Downton Abbey is the same one that was used for Totleigh Towers in the 1990s version of "Jeeves and Wooster", and I keep expecting to see Hugh Lawrie bumbling round the corner to utter a chirpy "What-ho". And I'd forgotten just what a nasty bunch most of the servants in Downton Abbey were.
I also found myself wondering just how long shows like this will work. Who has servants these days? How can anyone relate to that lifestyle? And... the main thread of the show's plot is much the same as that in another favourite of mine; “Price and Prejudice”, and is based on an antiquated law that has long since died. Basically the problem faced by the denizens of Downton Abbey (and by those of Longbourne in “Pride and Prejudice”) is that the ownership of the mansion, stately home or palace follows the male line of inheritance. If the owner of such a property dies with no sons, then the whole lot goes to the oldest and closest male cousin; no matter how distant. And so if the male owner dies with no direct male descendants, his wife and daughters may well find themselves homeless, or dependent on the charity of a very distant relative. This is rather laughable in today's society but was a serious consideration back in the day.
With this in mind,  look at Shakespeare's plays, the plots of many of which hinge on an understanding of the society of the times (which is why so few people understand what the Bard was on about). Or look at Chaucer wittering on about nun's priests. (What's one of those?) I can remember in Latin classes at school having to have several lessons in ancient history before any of the stories of Virgil or Pliny made any sense at all.
For fiction to work, it has to be in a setting to which you can relate, and most people can only relate to the society in which they live. Look at how the society portrayed in the original Star Trek (made in the 1960s) is so different to that of the new Treks (made far more recently) as the societies making the shows changed.
 
Once I'd scraped the ice from my car I set off up Brookfield Road, and took a little diversion to cap some jewels (it's a Munzee thing) before heading up the motorway to work. As I drove the pundits on the radio were interviewing Ozzy Osbourne who said he was stopping touring due to health issues, but said that a ballet inspired by Black Sabbath is in production. Heavy metal ballet, eh?
And apparently John Cleese is bringing back Fawlty Towers. I wonder how it will pan out? I'm reminded of how Red Dwarf was brought back after a hiatus of many years when on 13 April 2009 I wrote “…I was vaguely disappointed. I can’t help but think that over eight seasons, the whole premise of the show had been done to death. Last night’s special was obviously just trying to milk more money out of a tired formula. Whilst it was watchable, it reminded me of the latest movie version of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. “Red Dwarf – Back To Earth” was OK, but I’d seen it all before. There was nothing new or original about the thing - it was just yet another tired re-make.
Am I being cynical in thinking that a Fawlty Towers re-boot will just be more of the same?
There was also a lot of talk about how Microsoft are launching their AI... everyone has one these days. Would I want one? I'm quite happy with Alexa.
 
I got to work and did my thing... from a seated position. The new shoes are far better than the old ones, but my feet were still very painful. I think I might be developing flat feet so I've sent to Amazon to get orthotic insoles for the new shoes. Alexa says they will arrive tomorrow.
 
“er indoors TM” boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching “Ghosts” and drinking a rather grim bottle of “Cotes du Rhone”. Not that I’ve much experience (!) but you have to go a long way to beat the Sainsbury’s cheapo wines…

No comments:

Post a Comment