15 February 2023 (Wednesday) - Ironing For Three Hours

I woke in a cold sweat in the small hours. This happens with annoying regularity. This time it was after a nightmare in which I'd been invited to a party to celebrate the retirement of John Le Mesurier (who was Sergeant Wilson in Dad's Army"). Nobody but me thought it odd to have a retirement party for someone who'd died forty years ago.

I dozed on and off for the rest of the night.
It was foggy when I took the puppies out into the garden. They did what I wanted them to do, and then squeaked in excitement as I let them upstairs and helped them on to the big bed. With them settled I made toast and watched more "Downton Abbey" in which Lady Mary was causing consternation (and that was without anyone knowing about the poor Turkish attaché  that she'd porked to death last week).
 
Remembering to pick up my sarnies (that I forgot yesterday) I set off to work through the thick fog. Despite visibility being down to only ten yards at times there were still idiots on the roads flying around at breakneck speeds.
As I drove to work the pundits on the radio had quite a lot to say for themselves. There was a lot of talk about whatever it is that the Americans had shot down over the weekend. Last week they brought down a Chinese balloon. Whether spying or on meteorological research is anyone's guess, but having brought one down, flushed with success the Americans brought down three more last weekend. However "three more what" is the question everyone is asking. The Americans have obviously potted three "things", but no one knows precisely what. No government or commercial company is complaining that they have had anything shot down.
So far no one has ruled out aliens...
There was talk about a male contraceptive pill which stops the little tadpoles from swimming about. Our old friend science has been hoping for a male contraceptive pill for years. Call me puritanical if you will, but I can't see what's wrong with a cold shower and a firm moral stance.
And my piss boiled as a self-styled expert started talking about blood transfusions. Apparently during the massive blood shortages of last year hundreds of thousands of people volunteered to be blood donors. Only a quarter of these people have actually given any, and there were calls for all the other volunteers to stump up what they had promised.
What boiled my piss was the oh-so-simplistic talk of "universal donors" and "universal recipients". If it were really so simple why would we spend so much effort in compatibility testing? Here's a tip - if you ever encounter anyone using the word "universal" with regard to blood transfusions, rest assured you are dealing with someone who knows absolutely nothing about the subject.
 
I got to work for the early shift and go on with it. But an early start made for an early finish, and I was glad to get home early and walk the dogs. We didn’t go far; just round the block, but they liked the outing. And with a short walk walked they settled down. “er indoors TM was off out with her work pals this evening, so I got the ironing board out and spent three hours emptying the ironing box. There’s never a dull moment in my life, is there?
As I ironed I watched more “Downton Abbey”, and paused only when the puppies asked for their dinner. They really did ask for it; both dabbed at me, then ran to their empty bowls, then ran back and dabbed at me, and kept on until I sorted their scran.
I sorted my own scran too; “er indoors TM had left some scoff and instructions on how to operate the new oven. It took some operating…
 
Oh – and today is World Hippopotamus Day. Apparently. One of the lesser-known dates of the calendar…

No comments:

Post a Comment