7 February 2023 (Tuesday) - Early Shift

Once I'd done the usual morning nonsense and the dogs were all settled, I too settled. I sat down in front of the telly and watched the first episode of "Physical: 100"
I rather thought it would be like "Squid Game", but it wasn't.  It's a Korean reality TV program in which it is claimed that a hundred people of all races, creeds and colours compete in contests of strength, agility, and strategy until only one is left; that one winning two hundred thousand quid. However the reality of it was that there are ninety musclebound blokes all openly leering at ten women in leotards. Ninety-seven of these people are Korean, two are American and one is German. But the non-Koreans have all said (quite categorically) that they identify as Korean.
The first episode featured all one hundred competitors blathering platitudes (which lost a lot in translation) and then they all hung from a bar until they all eventually fell into a pond. Some sooner than others.
It has to be said it was rather tedious; even with fast-forwarding through the drivel ("the drivel" being most of the show) it was half an hour of my life I'm not going to get back. I’ve deleted it from my “Continue Watching” list, and that is something I rarely do.
 
I got dressed, made a point of picking up the sandwich I made yesterday and then walked miles to where I'd parked the  car last night. It didn't take *that* long to scrape the ice from the windscreen, and once I'd avoided being deliberately run off the road by the HGVs coming up the motorway I listened to the radio.
There was a lot of talk  about the earthquake in Turkey and about the major international aid effort that is happening. There was also a lot of talk about the effects of the same earthquake in Syria and about the lack of an international aid effort. Whilst you have to have pity for the Syrian victims of this tragedy, I suppose that if you have a regime supporting those actively conspiring against much of the rest of the world, the rest of the world is going to tell you to piss off when you realise that you actually need them. Which is why so many people flee from the area hoping to settle in somewhere that isn't still operating with a dark ages mentality.
 
I got to work despite the fog. The fog was odd; my journey alternated between thick patches of the stuff with visibility of maybe a couple of dozen yards, then being perfectly clear again. I got to work where the chap who'd done the night shift was glad to see me. I'd arrived early as I like to let the person who's been on all night get away promptly.
When no one was looking I chased up the probate people to check they'd got the email I'd sent yesterday. Was I being impatient? The automated reply I received yesterday said that if they wanted any more information then they would let me know. But the automated email they'd sent me in November had said the same thing... even though (as I discovered yesterday) they *did* want more information and had no intention of asking me for it.
After a lot less farting about than I had to fart yesterday I was assured they've got all that they need from me, and that because we've been waiting for more than sixteen weeks they are going to "escalate our case" and we should get probate in three weeks' time.
I bet we don't...
 
Being on an early meant I was out before the shops closed today. My work shoes have become incredibly painful recently; the insides of the soles have collapsed, so I went to Cotswold Outdoors at the Notcutts Garden Centre to get some more. The nice lady there was incredibly helpful, and when I came to pay she asked if there was any way she could give me a discount. I told her where I worked, and she knocked fifteen quid off of the price of the shoes. Result.
I then drove down to Hythe where I deployed sixteen briefcase Munzees and opened a Qrate (obtaining a Sloth Cubimal!) before meeting Jose and going on to Lego club. We had a good hour building things. Lego club has improved since I was last there; the brats who (quite literally) did nothing but run in circles screaming have been given the heave-ho. Mind you attendance was down somewhat.
Perhaps we need to have a big push to get more people along?
 
I see this evening I have one less Facebook friend than I had this morning. Someone has decided to de-friend me… and in doing so has automatically become my Facebook enemy (I don’t make the rules…)
And it is now two days since any young ladies of dubious morals have been in touch…

No comments:

Post a Comment