25 July 2020 (Saturday) - Eynesford


It was a shame that Treacle had to suck the duvet quite so noisily last night. It would have been rather sweet had she not kept me awake for quite so long.

I made myself some toast and peered into the Internet. “Khadija Bou” had sent me a friend request on Facebook. I have no idea who “Khadija Bou” is, but at least (unlike many other unsolicited friend requests I get on Facebook) she had kept her clothes on.
And talking of Facebook, my professional body has a Facebook page. Probably ninety per cent of the posts on there are from wannabe-blood-testers who have got the hump because they have spent several years (and several thousand pounds) obtaining utterly unsuitable qualifications. Last night I suggested that the professional body had a pinned post on that Facebook page telling wannabe-blood-testers what degrees are acceptable and what degrees aren’t. To be honest it is the sort of thing that you can find out for yourself in a few minutes on Google, but most people seem to prefer spending several years (and several thousand pounds) obtaining utterly unsuitable qualifications and then grumbling about it afterwards
This morning I was amazed to see that nearly sixty people had clicked the “like” button on my comment. I wonder if these were all people who had already spent several years (and several thousand pounds) obtaining utterly unsuitable qualifications.

I also saw that the company that makes our GPS units has been the victim of a cyber-attack. The hackers “…have had access to all their stored data. This could include personal data… location data, GPS Tracks etc for Geocachers..”. Well, they’ve had access to mine right from the start as I post it up on Facebook every time I go out. And talking of which…

We got ourselves and the dogs organised and set off on our weekend mission. As we drove up the radio we listened to Radio Ashford. The woman on the radio was (as usual) breathing so heavily into the microphone it was as though she was gasping for air. She’s been doing this for some time; you really would think that the big-wigs at the radio station would have had a word with her by now.

We got to the car park at Lullingstone Country Park and the dogs immediately started screaming in excitement. I wish they wouldn’t but it shows they have come to expect a good day after a long drive. The chap in the car next to us gave us some odd looks as they shouted..
Karl, Tracey and Charlotte soon arrived and we messed about getting parking tickets. Karl had the somewhat traditional idea of putting money onto the ticket machine but I tried to pay using my phone. To cut a long story short in the end Karl put some money into the machine for me, and (pausing only briefly to look at a frog) we were soon on our way. Our route took us along the river where we watched some trout swimming about. I was convinced there were pike there, but I didn’t see any.
After a while the route turned up and across a hil, and we got the most beautiful views of the Eynesford valley, and we caught up with some fellow hunters of Tupperware. We chatted for a bit, then they moved on whilst we stopped for a picnic lunch. Cheese rolls, a couple of bottles of ale, overlooking a beautiful view with good company. Not too shabby at all.
I took a few photos as we walked

Geocache-wise this was a good walk. Some of the hides were trickier than others. A couple were missing and (with permission) we replaced them.
We knew the weather would be against us, and the intermittent drizzle of the day turned to heavy rain just as we started the drive home.

We came home to emails which caused offence and upset, but also to several (lots of) messages of support. Earlier this week "er indoors TM" had hidden a load of geocaches locally. They went live this morning whilst we were out. A friend who went to try to be first to find them said that he’d not been first. Someone had seen that the old caches on the route had slowly been archived and had gone out in the week, spent a day hunting under every single rock and bush and had found most of them before they went live. Whilst that isn’t against the letter of the law, it certainly is against the spirit of the law.
Perhaps somewhat trivial in the great scheme of things,but being first to find a geocache is a big thing in some circles. It was also pointed out to us that the new series of geocaches that had gone live late yesterday afternoon had all been found. The “First to Find” on each of those caches had gone to the besties of the people who had hidden the caches. Are people really so desperate for a first to find that they either scrubble under any old rock on the off-chance that they might find an as-yet unpublished cache, or they get their mates to put one out for them? The general consensus was that there are those of us who contribute to the hobby of rummaging for film pots under rocks, and there are those who take from it. I’m wondering if I should stop being quite so generous.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a very good bit of dinner, then we joined in with the weekly Zoom quiz. We had a very good session – the questions strained my brain somewhat but with rounds including languages, flags, history & politics, nature, sci-fi books and food and drink there was something for everyone. I managed fourth place (with which I was pleased), and I discovered I now have a new favourite bird – the thrush. Purely because its Latin name is “Turdus philomelos”.

No comments:

Post a Comment