17 July 2020 (Friday) - Holiday...


It was probably because I wanted to have an early start that I didn’t sleep properly. I gave up trying to sleep (as I so often do) and made myself some toast with some home-made jam. It was rather good stuff…
As I scoffed it I peered int the Internet. Facebook had decided it would upgrade itself and give me the all-new new-look screen. I gave it five minutes before turning it back to how it was. The nice people at Facebook immediately asked for feedback on why I’d changed it back. Unfortunately there wasn’t an option for “because it is bloody horrible”.
Once I’d got it back to how I was used to having it I had a little look-see. A friend had posted about how a computer game we all had (all those years ago) recently sold in America for over a hundred thousand dollars. You have to wonder who has got that much money to spend on a retro computer game.

As the rest of the household snored I drove out on today’s geo-mission. As I drove I listened to the radio. The president of the Girls Brigade did the “prayer for today” bit. Most people’s minds wander at that sort of thing; I pay close attention because usually these people talk utter rot. This morning was no exception. The meditation and prayer were basically along the lines of” the world has gone to pot because of coronageddon, but we should still suck up to God anyway. God might decide to make things better, and if we don’t suck up, God might make them worse (in a fit of pique)”.
I got to where I was going shortly before six o’clock, and had a little walk. A friend has decided that his series of geocaches have run their course. I’ve offered to replace the lot with a new series, and this morning I had a preliminary recce. Some of the hides are still good, some I will change. The route is a good one through woods and fields. There is some lane-walking, but the lanes are quiet. And there are no stiles and only one field of sheep on the way. In six and a half miles of walking I found thirty seven rocks under which I can stash a film pot, and in all that way I only saw one other person, and that was right at the end when I got back to my car.

I came home via Aldi where a minor squabble was kicking off. One of the spotty oiks that they use as supermarket managers these days was trying to persuade a member of the public just how good these face masks are. His argument wasn’t helped by his own one being tucked under his chin, and not another member of staff was wearing one.
Once home I had a cuppa, and took the dogs out. In a break with current practice I took them up to Kings Wood. Aleta and Dick were walking there today. I had hoped to bump into them; we didn’t, But it is a huge wood, and we had a good walk anyway.

With dogs walked I made a start on the admin for the new series of geocaches that I walked earlier. I’ve decided to have the whole lot as puzzles. Simple puzzles, but puzzles put the newbies off. I don’t get quite so many geocaches going missing because people have taken them home to show their mum when I hide puzzles rather than traditional ones. In the long run it is a whole less effort, but just plotting the icon positions on the map took a couple of hours. Creating the bare bones of the web pages took a few more hours, and I then wrote what must be the most basic and simple Wherigo I’ve ever made. That only took three and a half hours.
I’m worn out. And I still haven’t programmed “Hannah” for tomorrow yet…

Mind you I’m glad I had a productive day -it took my mind off of the fact that I was supposed to be flying out to Morocco today…

No comments:

Post a Comment