18 July 2020 (Saturday) - Crockenhill to Chelsfield (And Back)


"er indoors TM" spent an inordinate amount of time fighting with one of the dogs last night whilst I was trying to sleep. I wish she wouldn’t.

As I scoffed my toast I peered intently at my lap-top. Facebook had told me it had a dozen notifications for my urgent attention. I had a look at them – there wasn’t anything of note at all. The works Facebook page had asked people to post photos of their pets… I couldn’t be bothered. I did see (from the “memories” bit) that usually this weekend is Canterbury Beer Festival. That was always rather good fun back in the day. I wonder when the beer festivals will start again? But apart from that, there was very little on the Internet apart from even more adverts. People are posting unwanted tat for sale in pretty much every Facebook group these days. Years ago you’d give your unwanted rubbish to the scouts who would have a jumble sale and give the left overs to the rag-and-bone man. Nowadays you try to sell your cast-offs yourself and grumble because no one wants second-hand anymore.

We got ourselves and our luggage and the dogs into the car and set off up the motorway. As we do, we listened to Steve on Radio Ashford, but the signal failed far earlier than usual today. We were barely on the motorway when it got too fizzy to hear. So I contented myself by playing Munzee instead.

It wasn’t long before we were in Crockenhill where we met Karl, Tracey and Charlotte, and we set off in the vague direction of Chelsfield; our route being set out for us by two series of geocaches.
As we walked we crossed woodlands and footpaths and lanes. The views of the London skyline were rather impressive. It was a hot day (hotter than forecast) but the dogs had their cooling collars and plenty to drink. We had a good walk, but more shade would have been nice. We met friendly horses, and I managed to get a geocache from twenty feet up a tree.
We walked past a couple of pubs but kept going and didn’t stop. Instead we had a rather good picnic with a couple of bottles of ale (and cider) and watched the dogs running riot with a branch. The dogs were rather well behaved today; the only episode was when they chased another dog that came too close at picnic time.
The day was only marred by Charlotte scratching her leg rather badly (there was blood – it *did* hurt!).

I amazed myself by staying awake on the way home.

This evening we tuned in to the weekly Zoom quiz… it was rather good. Based on the TV show “Only Connect” I rather impressed myself by coming joint fifth out of ten.
"er indoors TM" then went to get KFC for tea…

No comments:

Post a Comment