4 July 2020 (Saturday) - Late Shift


I didn’t wake up until quarter to eight – that’s something of a lie-in. I’d just had my shave when I heard my phone beep. A new geocache had gone live five miles away. With a little time on my hands I got dressed, ran down the road, drove out to Wye, and twenty-four minutes later I was doing the happy dance having been the first one to find it. There are those who delight in the FTF – I’m happy to get one a month, and that’s me now done for July. As I drove home I went via the main roads. I’d gone out along the back lanes to avoid getting stuck at the railway crossing, and as I drove home (I could be mistaken) I saw what looked to be the local predominant hunter of FTFs who had been stuck in the queue when the railway crossing had closed.

I came home and had a later-than-usual brekkie. I gloated on Facebook about the FTF. With “Unknown” still bombarding me with requests to “do the dirty deed” I’ve had to tweak the settings of this blog. I’ve gone from hardly any comments to having loads; all of them being rather unmoral.
My in-box had over sixty “found it” logs on geocaches I’d hidden which I saw as a result.

I had hoped to take the dogs to Orlestone Woods this morning, but with time pushing on we just walked the local roads scanning random bar codes on equally random lamp posts as we went. The dogs behaved themselves, and we came home past the corner shop where we got a couple of almond croissants which we scoffed with a cuppa.
The postie had been with the Lego I’d ordered on Monday; I quite like my Lego crocodile. I then ordered what I think I actually wanted when I ordered the wrong thing on Monday

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio really were saying "blah blah dull, blah blah dull". Sometimes Radio Four can be insightful, sometimes it is interesting or amusing, but sometimes it is tedious. So I turned it off and sang along to the strange music in my car.
I got to work and had a plate of macaroni cheese, then tackled writing up a little CPD. Whilst doing this I figured out how to re-set the Blogger editing software back to how it used to be (and back to how I liked it) from how the people at Blogger have changed it (yuk!)
I do wish IT people wouldn't fiddle with things.

With the rest of the country now able to go to the pub and go have a haircut, I got on with the late shift. I wasn't missing much; I suppose I am very lucky in that lock-down hasn't really affected me that much at all. I've been doing my own haircuts for twenty years now, so going to the barber doesn't feature in my life. And as for going to the pub...
We might call in on one tomorrow, but beer is nearly a fiver a pint in the pub, pubs are restricted to what beers the landlord has got in (often a rather basic choice) and you have to put up with the Great Unwashed swarming around.
I'm fast preferring to get a very good pint of a decent ale or lager of my own choice from the shops (for less than a third of the pub's price), and drink it with good company well away from the Swarming Hoardes.

Work was work, but as an added bonus there was cake. This was unusual for a Saturday. Being at work I did miss the Saturday on-line quiz, but that is something which isn't what it was. When I started the quizzes going (a few months ago) I mentioned on Facebook that I wanted to do a quiz, and the first one or two involved only the family and friends who'd responded to my suggestion.
As time has gone on, family and many friends have dropped by the wayside and the thing seems to have become something (exclusively?) for the Kent geo-gang. I can't honestly say that this is any better or any worse. It's different, and I don't do "change" very well...

No comments:

Post a Comment