3 June 2023 (Saturday) - Busy, Busy

I was fast asleep when I my phone beeped at five o’clock this morning with a message about an Evri delivery. What was that all about? I don’t have an Evri account; I didn’t even know what one was until this message woke me. Apparently Evri is the new name for Hermes? The number the message came from is (apparently) a known source of scam phone calls.
Being wide awake I put some washing in to scrub, made toast and watched an episode of “Shameless” before kicking everyone else out of their pits.
 
With a bumper crop of dog dung harvested I had a look at the Internet. I had two friend requests on Facebook this morning. Both reminded me of a comment made by an eight-year-old cub scout who on seeing a pantomime dame for the first time described it as “a woman gone wrong”. I think I’ve got two of those here… The one on the right is having a serious chest malfunction.
There wasn’t a lot else happening on the internet this morning, which in some ways was a shame, and in others was something of a result.
 
Being Saturday we drove round to the Repton estate and Dog Club. As we turned into the estate so the dogs went frantic – they knew where they were going. Dog Club was good fun today. Morgan and Bailey had a whale of a time, Treacle allowed other dogs near to me and “er indoors TM, and she even sniffed a few bums (Treacle, not “er indoors TM”).
As we drove home we listened to Steve on the radio doing the Mystery Year competition. Usually I have some idea (quite often a good idea) but today I didn’t have a clue. 2005 perhaps?
 
We got home, settled the dogs and zoomed out to Bybrook Barn garden centre. As we drove Steve was still on the radio talking about the latest Sparks album. He seemed quite keen on it; I’m still not sure.
Yesterday I mentioned needing a rock for something I had in mind. At the garden centre I got two, some pond plants (and containers for them) and cake. Billed as “Cherry Cake Seconds”, it was the edge parts of cherry cake at a fraction of the price of the normal cherry cake.
Mind you my piss boiled somewhat as I went round Bybrook Barn; I think it fair to say that I was the *only* person there with a trolley who was aware that there were other people shopping. Not one of the other trolley pilots were paying any attention to where they were going, or what (or who) they were crashing into.
 
We came home and I got on with today’s project. For some time we’ve had a little splash pool above the pond into which the filter empties. The water then goes over a little waterfall into the main pond which gets oxygen into the water. But the splash pool just breeds algae. So the plan was to turn this splash pool into a bog filter. I trimmed up the pond plant containers so they would be beneath the splash pool’s water level, got them all in place, then arranged stones over them to keep the plants sunk.
The plan is that all the nutrients in the water which feed algae will go into the plants, leaving none for the algae. Will this work? Time will tell; it always does.
 
“er indoors TM sorted out coffee and cake for lunch. For all that the cake was “seconds”, it was rather good.
With a little time on my hands I made a start sawing up wood in preparation for tomorrow’s project (more of that tomorrow).
As I sawed “er indoors TM took Treacle to the vets. Her belly was (and is) very red and had a nasty lump. The vet had a poke and a prod and announced it was a very nasty bruise. I can’t think of any accidents Treacle has had recently to get a bruise. The vet said to keep an eye on it; we will.
 
We then drove down to Folkstone to see the birthday girl. “Daddy’s Little Angel TM” was going out for her birthday, and we had been charged with the supervision of “Darcie Waa Waa TM.
Leaving the most recent fruit of my loin heading off to the fun fair for the afternoon and evening we brought “Darcie Waa Waa TM home, and had a rather full-on afternoon and evening. When she wasn’t terrorising the dogs (and snogging them) she was either playing bubbles or watching songs on You-Tube. We had a few tears as time wore on, but she perked up a bit for KFC for tea. Eventually she collapsed; she was so tired.
As was I.
I had the offer to go to Singleton barn this evening to see Jimbo’s band with friends, but I was worn out from the day’s exertions… and that was before granddaughter arrived on the scene.
I’m told the band is playing in Mersham in a few weeks’ time; we can see them then.

No comments:

Post a Comment