16 June 2023 (Friday) - Bonus Early Shift

Ironically on the one night I was sleeping like a baby I had a rather vivid nightmare in which "International Take Your Dogs To Work Day" coincided with "International Don't Let Your Dogs Crap All Over The Place Day". Against my better judgement I had been convinced to take part in the first and consequently had fallen foul of the second. And then (in a rather unexpected turn of events) I was faced with a colony of dung beetles spitting fireballs at all and sundry from their home in a nest of dog turds which was blocking up the works of a rather crucial piece of blood-testing apparatus.
I suppose this must speak volumes about what is going on in my subconscious.
 
I got up, made brekkie and turned on the telly. Yesterday I mentioned that Netflix had dropped "Shameless". This morning it was back and at the top of my "continue watching" list. So I continued watching it. The baby has stopped talking, and two of the rather foxier young ladies became rather lesbidacious. However when "doing the dirty deed" they both kept their pants on. Does this happen when foxy young ladies "do the dirty deed"? I'm (thankfully) rather vague on the subject.
With telly watched I had a little look at the Internet. It was much the same as ever. Sadly  what was once a rather good site for getting advice on garden ponds has been taken over by the keyboard warriors. I could do with advice on my lilies (one has croaked, one has gone rather manky) but I'm not going to fuel some sad sack's need for self-aggrandisement .
There was also talk of hose pipe bans locally. I can't help but think that rather than ban hosepipes, South East Water might like to fix the leak just down the road from me that has been flooding the pavement for months, and also sort the leak in Brookfield Road that has been flooding the junction by the traffic lights for weeks. Both (and plenty of others) have been on their "Report a Leak" website for ages, and they've done nothing.
 
As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about Boris Johnson (as if they ever talk about much else). The report on whether or not he deliberately misled Parliament is out and had come to the obvious conclusion (as if it could realistically come to any other conclusion). On Monday MPs have to vote on whether or not to punish him. It seems that quite a few MPs are keen on letting him get away with it; feeling that when (not if) he returns to high office he will remember those who looked out for him. I suppose they've got a point; which of our MPs aren't in it for anything other than self-interest?
The poor (current) Prime Minister was getting stick for not being seen to take a stance on Boris. The poor (current) Prime Minister is in a no-win position, isn't he? If he does nothing he is accused of tacitly condoning Boris's misdemeanors. If he takes a firm line he is accused of being vindictive.
 
I got to work. Yesterday afternoon the boss had sent me a message asking if I would do the early shift today. I was quite happy to do that. I get to work super-early to miss the traffic anyway, and being on an early means I get out (nearly) two hours earlier than I otherwise would.
 
So getting out early meant I got home early, and I took the dogs to the woods. We arrived to find the car park completely empty, and had a rather good walk. Mind you we did see another group of dog walkers. A young couple with three dogs; the young lady of which was wearing a suit of bright blue skin-tight lycra which was about three sizes too small. She really might as well have been walking round the woods in the nip for all that her clothing was keeping secret.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the first episode of the new season of “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds”… or that was our plan. As the program wore on it seemed more and more familiar. I’d started the show right from the very first episode. Oh well… there’s only ten episodes in that first season. We watched two of them, and we’ll watch the rest so that when we get to the new episode we’ll have some idea of what’s going on.
Or that’s the plan.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment