17 June 2023 (Saturday) - Before the Late Shift

I slept right through until after seven o’clock this morning wen I woke up with backache. Backache is usually a sign that I’ve been asleep for a long time. It’s a shame that I have one or the other – no sleep or backache. It’s a shame I don’t have a choice.
I made toast and saw that my lap-top had finally sorted itself out. It said it wanted to update itself last night so I left it to it and gave it all night to do so. The poor old device does struggle with this sort of thing; it is now seven years old, perhaps I need a new one?
 
As I scoffed toast I rolled my eyes at a post on one of the Hastings-related Facebook pages. The boardwalk of Hastings pier is covered in seagull shit. The reason is that being on the seaside there are tens of thousands of seagulls crapping all over the place. It always used to be like that when I lived there; the boss in the restaurant where I worked had two cars – a good one he kept at home (where it would stay clean), and a knacked old runabout which he would use to get to and from the seaside restaurant and which would get covered in seagull crap. Twas ever thus. But now it seems the influx of DFLs (“Down From London” - the term used by the locals for all the people moving to the coast from London) are up in arms because they apparently had no idea that seagulls crap all over the place. There was quite a good argument going on in which everyone was claiming that everyone else was responsible for something that was nothing to do with them.
 
Being Saturday morning we drove over to Repton for Dog Club. As we turned into Repton so the dogs started squeaking; they knew where they were going. We had a rather good turn-out. Even though Moose, Scout and quite a few of the other regulars weren’t there we still had one of the highest attendances ever. The dogs charged abut and played; Treacle looked on at them in much the same way that God might judge a dubious creation… They loved it.
All too soon it was time to come home. One the way up we’d listened to Steve on the radio doing the lyrics quiz. Given a line from a song you have to work out what song. I’m hopeless at that. But I’m marginally better at the mystery year quiz we listen to on the way home. Steve said on air that one of the clues would give it away for me… it didn’t but it made me think. In which year was “Star Trek The Next Generation” first broadcast on UK television? I got it wrong. The answer was 1990, but I went for 1987; the year in which the show was made. I saw it then as I got the videos as they came out. Looking back the videos came out in the UK years ahead of the TV releases. Compare that to today when the new episodes of Star Trek are available (on the pay-for Paramount Plus channel) world-wide on the day of release.
 
We came home for a cuppa and a dried-out Belgian bun from the local bakery, We do like a Belgian bun on a Saturday morning and (sadly) the local bakery down the road makes far-and-away the worst Belgian buns for miles around (the co-op do the best ones!).
As we cuppa-ed and bun-ed I pondered a geo-puzzle. Feeling rather smug about having solved this one and this one I made a start thinking about this one. Do have a look at it; billed as rather easier than the other two, I’m rather struggling. Looking at the description I *think* I need to work out a physical location somewhere on the Romney Marsh which is in some way connected to someone called “Nancy” who is frightened of something (possibly skipping). And having determined who Nancy is, it should then be a simple task to convert the series of letters FCFY, GYC, BSUL and BLYD into numbers.
I’m struggling with this one.
I hate geo-puzzles. To show how much I hate them I created one last year to prove the point that no one can solve them. Only four people have found the thing in a year. And another I hid three years ago has also only been found four times.  So why do I strain my brain on them? So that I can gloat when I’ve solved the puzzle.
 
As we'd driven home from dog club the traffic had been horrendous. It turns out that the main road south from Ashford (the A2070) had been closed and the diverted traffic had reduced the town to gridlock... Whenever I'm stuck in traffic in Ashford I'm reminded of driving round Hastings where there are endless ways to get from one point to another. In Ashford the motorway and the train lines cut the town into segments. There are very few ways to get over the motorway or railways, and if one of these choke points is poggered, the whole town seizes up.
Like it did today.
It strikes me that this is a very good example of incompetence on the part of the highways department of Kent County Council, the head honcho of which gets a hundred and nineteen thousand quid a year.
Perhaps we might all write to our county councilors?
“er indoors TM s driving app told me it would take forty minutes to get from home to work. Far be it from me to disrespect her phone, but I took no chances, left early and took an hour and a half to do that journey.
 
I got to work and did my bit. As I'd driven up the motorway so there had been a couple of rain showers and I'd felt a slight sense of satisfaction; I don't mind working at the weekends when it is raining. But the rain soon dried up and I spent much of the shift looking out of the window sulking at a glorious afternoon.
At least “er indoors TM sorted McDonalds for dinner…

No comments:

Post a Comment