23 June 2023 (Friday) - End of an Era

For the first eleven and a bit years of my life I lived in Grove Road in Hastings. In late 1974 my mother became incredibly restless and she and my father started looking to move house. I don’t know how many houses they looked at, but they bought a house quite literally round the corner from where we were living. I wouldn’t say it was only a stone’s throw away, but you could hit one house with a stone from the other if you used a catapult.
I can’t remember exactly when we moved in, but I can remember going to primary school in the morning from Grove Road and coming home to Winchelsea Road in the afternoon. Because it was primary school and not secondary it must have been some time in or before July 1975.
 
At the time I was rather bemused by the move. We’d gone from a relatively spacious terraced house to a (quite frankly) small and poky semi-detached house. But my dear old mum was always something of a snob (bless her); semi-detached was definitely a step up in her mind; even if the new house was half the size of what we’d moved out of.
I suppose being a smaller house was something of a boon for my father. Whereas in my world I am constantly walking the dogs, ironing and fiddling with my pond, my Dad was always decorating. Just like the Forth Bridge, once he’d finished decorating the house he would start again.
 
Having moved in to the house in Winchelsea Road, my mother, brother and I immediately decamped a mile down the road and spent a week living at my grandmother’s house whilst Dad bashed down internal walls in the new house. The kitchen was so small you could stand in it and touch all four walls without moving. Combining it with the back room gave a little more space (but not much).
Despite being a tiny house (compared to what we had been used to), about half of the available downstairs floor space was wasted. The front room was set up as an immaculate shrine into which special visitors would be welcomed. Sadly no visitor that I can remember was ever deemed important enough for them to be allowed into the front room though. I only ever saw that front room being used on a Christmas morning (as it was a special celebration).
Amazingly despite the room’s never being used, the pristine furniture was changed for new stuff on a yearly basis.
Why?
Sadly this keeping the front room as a shrine for the important visitors that never came was maintained right up until my mother had to have a downstairs bedroom only five short years ago.
 
Whilst knocking down internal walls, Dad also installed a “back boiler”; a frankly ridiculous system whereby all the house’s hot water was heated by a coal fire. Consequently the house was constantly far too hot with a coal fire roaring at all hours of night and day. In the height of heatwaves a coal fire would be going non-stop. We had one on the go all through the legendary summer of 1976.
 
I moved out in 1983 after we’d been there for eight years. I’m told that when my brother moved to the other side of Hastings my mother was keen to move house, but my father wasn’t having any of it. Despite all his family having moved away, he wanted to stay close to where he’d been brought up.
After forty-eight years in our family we finally sold that house today…
Something of an end of an era…

No comments:

Post a Comment