20 June 2023 (Tuesday) - Before the Night Shift

There was a frankly amazing thing on Facebook this morning in which some religious crackpot has posted up the story of some woman who had been born into slavery, but the wife of the woman who owned her had taught her to read the bible. Because she’d learned to read the bible, this was presented as clinching proof of the existence of a loving God.
How does that work?
And then I read a couple of somethings on one of the Hastings related Facebook groups which sums up our society.
Someone was griping about hosepipe bans, and the observation was made that the South East desperately needs water and power. Hydro-electric power was an obvious answer, and people were asked which parts of the region should be flooded… Everyone wanted everyone else to be flooded out, and people were getting rather nasty. No one seemed to consider fixing all the leaks or building desalination plants on he seaside as a practical alternative; everyone was too keen on the argument.
And there was also a lot of talk on that same group about what “they” might do with Hastings pier to improve it. No one had the faintest idea who “they” might be; no one seemed to realized the thing was privately owned.
But these two squabbles are Facebook groups in a nutshell, aren’t they? No way does total ignorance of all the facts stop anyone from having an opinion.
 
We had an entertaining five minutes doing the dogs’ flea treatments and worm tablets. It was far easier to type than to do. All three dogs ran away; we had to close all doors out of the living room to contain them, and still they took some capturing.
The plan was to then do dog brekkie and to go to the woods, but the torrential rain then hit. So instead of going out there and then, I settled down to write up some CPD. And as I sparked up the blood transfusion simulator so the thunderstorm started.
After an hour or so the rain had subsided a little so I wandered up to the pond to see how my watercress experiment was getting on. I was amazed; in less than a day the stuff was sprouting. I was impressed.
I then asked the dogs if they wanted to go out. They took one look at the rain outside and went back to sleep. I had a look at the puzzles on the Suffolk geo-map instead.
 
After an hour or so it had seriously brightened up outside so I put on my boots. The dogs saw this and all ran to the lead box. They were happy to go out in decent weather. Bearing in mind that Kings Wood would be less boggy than Orlestone I thought we might go there. Sadly autopilot kicked in, and we were a few hundred yards from Orlestone before I realized I’d gone to the wrong woods.
I wasn’t going to go all the way to Kings Wood from there, so we carried on and walked a route avoiding the worst of the mud; even if we did need our bellies rinsing when we came home.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up cheese on toast, then I went to bed for the afternoon where I got three hours sleep. For me that was something of a result.
“er indoors TM is hopefully boiling up dinner soon, but before we scoff that it is time for the dogs to have their teeth brushed. This will make the earlier worming seem like a walk in the park. And then I’m off to the night shift…

No comments:

Post a Comment