27 September 2022 (Tuesday) - A Jab

Once I’d “done the puppies” and made toast I sat in front of the telly and watched another episode of “Better Than Us” with something of a sense of déjà vu. The show was made in Russian and translated into English. Rather badly. As I watched this morning’s episodes I suddenly  realised that what I was hearing was rather reminiscent of the stilted translations of French and Latin texts that we did at school.
Netflix translations are done by Russian schoolboys doing their equivalent of the “O” level in English.
 
Taking care not to wake anyone I got ready for work, and set off through a rather cold morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the DART mission’s success. Basically NASA has given an asteroid a shove and changed its orbit. Bearing in mind that asteroids crashing into Earth have caused mass extinctions several times in the past, it is something of a result to know that we now have the ability to prevent future impacts… if only we see the asteroids coming.
It rather bothers me that the ability to shove asteroids is actually of monumental  importance to the future of humanity, but those presenting the day’s news were very clear in this being very much secondary to the trivia at the Labour party’s conference. Apparently the Labour party are rather concerned that their leader (Sir Kier Starmer) is seen as being rather dull. Personally I don’t see that as a bad thing. Until recently we had a charismatic chap leading the country, and I think it fair to say that most people are saying good riddance to him. But (as always) the Labour party are trying to make themselves unelectable. There was an interview with Diane Abbott… I suspect that all the other political parties make a point of never putting any credible opposition up against her at any election just to keep her in a position to be an embarrassment to the Labour party. And then there was consternation being expressed that Sir Keir was quoting Tony Blair… doesn’t the current Labour party realise that Tony Blair won three consecutive general elections? Would they rather he quoted Jeremy Corbyn who ran the Labour party into the ground and comprehensively pissed on their chips?

I got to work and in between doing stuff in a rather busy day I had my fourth COVID jab. There are those who wouldn’t approve of my having it. It really bothers me that despite my post-graduate qualifications and over forty years’ experience and ongoing study, there are those who left school (despite having failed the Kindergarten Entrance exam) who feel they know far more and better than me on the matter having watched an utter bollox video on You-Tube.

Despite an hour’s delay on the motorway I wasn’t *that* late getting home. I loaded the hounds into the car and we had a rather good walk round the woods. We met our Spaniel friend Tucker and walked round the wood with him and his Daddy.
And with walk walked the dogs were worn out. Just as well… we had a decent bottle of plonk with dinner… hic!

No comments:

Post a Comment