2 September 2022 (Friday) - Wasted Journey (?)

With the puppies safely on the bed (and Treacle appeased) I made toast and watched another episode of "Shadow and Bone" which is getting rather good. This is yet another of those shows which passed me by when it was first released.
I had a quick look at Facebook and chuckled at a meme I read. Based on the "Charley Says" cat that was popular in safety films of the 1970s, "Charley" said that back in the 1970s we didn't have people going to food banks because we didn't squander our money on mobile phone contracts, nail bars or designer label sportswear. Am I being harsh in wondering if "Charley" isn't entirely wrong? Certainly in my experience those people that I've seen talking about having to use food banks have been doing so via the Internet connections of their mobile phones.
And there were quite a few "back to school" photos as well this morning. I quite like seeing them. This year there didn't seem to be quite so many people (always those without children) being rude about these photos, which was probably for the best.
 
Taking care not to disturb anyone I got ready for work, and rolled my eyes as I realised it was dustbin day... I realise that the dustmen have a job to do, but the really do make maximum inconvenience as they do it. Usually they make a point of blockading the pavements with the recycling bins, but on seeing me walking out of the house, one of the bin men (with a cheeky smile) literally hurled our bin at me. I managed to dodge it, but it hit the fence with a crash. I then spent five minutes waiting for the dustbin lorry to get out of the way before I could set off.
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about today being the last day of the Conservative Party's leadership contest. Several so-called experts were wheeled on, all of whom agreed that the public are sick of hearing about it. I must admit that after two months speculation over what certainly seems to be a foregone conclusion, it has got rather tedious. However what seemed to go over the heads of those presenting the news was that it was them themselves who have been bombarding up with this endless drivel.
 
I got to work and cracked on with the early shift. As I worked I got a message from “er indoors TM. What was the orange thing that Morgan had been chewing? It was the connector that joined the power cable from the plug to the cable to the pump that powers one of the water features. The thing is repairable (I hope), but I wish he hadn't chewed it. It was just as well that I only switch it on when I am there, isn't it?
And I got a message from the repair people who had a look at the scrape on my car yesterday. They'd priced up the cost of repairs... over a thousand quid. Not overly keen on driving round in a scraped car until I get a new one I thought I might try talking to the insurance people. It took a while to get through. After being told I needed to speak to someone else and being put back on hold for the third time I gave up.
 
When the boss wasn't looking I spent a few minutes poring over the map. After Tuesday's debacle I didn't fancy taking any country lanes on the trip to Eastbourne.  I plotted a route along A-roads and slipped off at the earliest opportunity… and fell at the first hurdle. The A road was closed at Wateringbury, and signposts to Eastbourne just stopped once I’d got into Tunbridge Wells.
 
After two and a half hours I finally got to Eastbourne Hospital. I went to the ward to see Dad. He was fast asleep, so I let him sleep. And after ten minutes I was (rather curtly) told he was being taken for an X-ray and he was taken off (still n his bed and fast asleep). I tried to talk to the nurse about why he was going for an X-ray and about one or two other things, but the nurse clearly didn’t want to talk to me. She didn’t actually say “f… off baldy” but that was definitely her unspoken implication.
So I came home… I got home nearly five hours after I’d started driving. I’d made a round trip of a hundred miles to watch Dad sleeping for ten minutes and to be fobbed off. Perhaps the nurse was having a bad day. I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt for now…
 

No comments:

Post a Comment