26 September 2022 (Monday) - Where Are They Now

Oh, I ached when I woke up this morning.  I heaved myself out of my pit and hobbled downstairs where the puppies looked almost as tired as I felt. They are learning that the first thing that happens every morning is that they go outside, and both trotted to the back door. I watched them going to the back door with such a sense of achievement... and it is so frustrating when they still have their little accidents inside.
 
I made toast, and scraped jam onto it using the bone-handled knives I blagged from Dad's kitchen yesterday. I quite like those knives, even if they are quite a bit older than I am. I scoffed toast watching an episode of "Better Than Us", then set off to work through the pouring rain.
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the after-effects of last Friday's mini-budget. Over the weekend the pound has collapsed against every other currency in the world. I'm no financial genius, but it seems clear to me that neither is our new Chancellor of the Exchequer (if the global financial markets are anything to go by).
There were reports from the Labour Party conference that the Labour party feel the UK should adopt some form of proportional representation in parliamentary elections.  Again no one is brave enough to address the actual problem with British politics; what the country needs is an electorate capable of making an informed decision. Am I being harsh on my fellow voters? In support of my cynicism I'd like to make the observation that in Italy they've just voted for the most right wing leader since the second world war and look how well Benito went down (literally).
 
I got to work and cracked on with the early shift in a somewhat reflective frame of mind.  Yesterday I mentioned I'd met an old pal from my days in the Boys Brigade of forty years ago. Also when tidying out Dad's house yesterday I found an old class photo from 1975. I had seen Gary from time to time over the years, and two of his sisters are on my Facebook list so I've had vague contact with him. But of my thirty-odd ex-classmates... Four of them are Facebook friends; I actually saw one of them eighteen years ago. But as for the rest... I believe two are teachers (one science, one history) and absolutely anything could have happened to the others. I wonder what did happen to them?
 
With work done I came home and took the dogs to the woods. It had rained quite a bit during the day, and the dogs got filthy. Every year we stop going to Orlestone over the winter… is it time to stop going there until the spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment