7 April 2020 (Tuesday) - Ten Albums?


I woke feeling full of energy and raring to go only to find it was a few minutes before two o’clock. I then lay awake for much of the rest of the night. Eventually I gave up trying to sleep and got up to check the news. Had the Prime Minister died overnight?
He hadn’t.
He remained in intensive care. Although the Foreign Secretary has stepped into the breach for the time being, the running of the country is all a bit vague at the moment. There is no “official” chain of command. And there isn’t really any historical precedent. Although seven British Prime Ministers have died whilst in office, the most recent one to go was over a hundred and fifty years ago.

I then watched an episode of “The Good Place” whilst scoffing granola, then had a look at the Internet. I took a deep breath when I saw I’d been tagged in a post on one of the geocaching pages. “Here’s a fun project for you to spend your time on” was the caption… Why is it that I get tagged to work on the fun project for the benefit of everyone else on that group whilst many others have been posting on Facebook about how bored they are during the on-going lock-down? In the last three weeks I’ve created a fifty-cache series and written four wherigos. I’m planning more cache series whilst I’m still working full time across two rather busy hospitals. But I still had a look-see to find out what the “fun project” was. It turned out that the Geocaching Association of Great Britain are running a competition. They want stories of geocaching adventures. I immediately thought of an epic trip round the Sussex Downs from two years ago, or the trip to Cornwall, or our European road trip, or two separate weeks in the New Forest.
I might just write a story or two.

I walked seemingly miles to my car. Last night I'd had to park it half-way up Bond Road which is (in terms that some of my loyal readers might understand) three geocaches from home.
As I drove in the general direction of Tunbridge Wells the pundits on the radio were talking about coronageddon. They don't talk about much else at the moment really.
A *lot* of concern was expressed for the Prime Minister's health.
There was talk about if and when the lock-down might be eased.
It was suggested that shutting schools might not have achieved much in stopping the spread of the disease.
But what I remembered most about the morning's news was that in the middle of concern and opinion about the worst public health crisis to have hit the country in a hundred years and our Prime Minister in intensive care, they had a ten-minute slot in which Prince Charles presented some pompous and pretentious drivel about the poet Wordsworth. The pundits on the radio said that Prince Charles had recorded what he said some time ago. They should have saved it for another time I *really* think it should not have been played this morning; it made the heir to the throne seem to be utterly out of touch with reality. As an ardent monarchist it bothers me that I listened to the radio this morning thinking of our future king as an irrelevant idiot. The average person in the street is (at best) utterly indifferent to poets from two hundred years ago; someone really should have a word with Charlie.

I got to work; I did my bit. As the day went on we followed the Prime Minister's progress via Google News. He seemed to be on the mend. Interestingly with all the excitement of the virus and the lock-down and Mr Johnson being ill, no one seemed to notice that a secret alien base has been discovered six kilometres underneath a volcano in Mexico.

I stopped off at the little shop in Sissinghurst on my way home. I had this idea that a country village shop might have some rather good cheese. They did. They also had something of an attitude, but that goes with the territory of a country village shop.
I got home just as "er indoors TM" was taking the dogs out. As they went so I watered trees and shrubs in the garden, gave myself a haircut, and had a ponder. A colleague had nominated me on one of these Facebook things; to choose ten albums that greatly influenced my taste in music. I have to post one album per day for ten consecutive days. No explanations no reviews, just album covers. I eventually came up with a list (listed alphabetically by album title and only allowing myself one album from any group); it took some doing… 

No comments:

Post a Comment