4 April 2020 (Saturday) - A Lithuanian Ale Sort Of Day


"er indoors TM" went to the loo in the small hours and there was a mass exodus as all the dogs followed her. I got up for the loo an hour later. No one followed me, and I came back to find all the dogs had made themselves comfortable in the warm space where I had been.
With the on-going lock-down our usual weekend walk was out the window, and with absolutely nothing on the agenda we didn’t wake up until after nine o’clock.

I made myself some toast; rather paranoid about using bread. With "er indoors TM"’s car being in the garage for the foreseeable future and shops having massive queues and keeping 1970s hours I’m rather paranoid about the shopping at the moment. There’s no real need for this; being a “key worker” I am allowed to jump the queues (provided I get there early enough) and we aren’t short of anything really, but still I worry.

I had a little look at the Internet. There were posts on Facebook from some rather thick people who (having totally misunderstood scientific papers which are clearly beyond their understanding) were advocating eating very acidic and alkaline foods to defend themselves from corona virus. The idea is that corona virus cannot survive in any pH below five or above eight so taking your own body’s pH above or below these levels would stop the virus from infecting you.
It is a brilliant idea in theory… in practice your lungs and kidneys would thwart any attempt to alter your body’s pH so right up to the point where trying to do so killed you.

We took the dogs out for a walk. "er indoors TM" wanted to carry on working on the series of geocaches she started planning last weekend. I wanted to test out using “Hannah” (my GPS unit) to plot where we’d walked onto a map. And the dogs wanted a walk. So we all went out four a four-and-a-half mile wander.
The walk went well; it was a bright day. We saw quite a few other people but managed to keep far enough away to prevent spread of virus (they can only jump so far, you know!). We met several other dogs and Pogo only barked at one.
We came home; after a quick Whitby bun and a cuppa we went out into the garden where I made my video for the “Really Skillful Angling/Toilet Roll Challenge”. It would have been easier with the dogs not in the way, but that’s my world these days…

I then popped over the road to the shop. They have a rather impressive international beer selection, and I (possibly) bought far too much beer. "er indoors TM" sat by the pond and had a bottle of Russian lager; I sat half-way up the garden and drank a rather interesting selection of Lithuanian ales whilst reading Alexei Sayle’s autobiography on my Kindle until it was too cold to sit in the garden..

"er indoors TM" baked some bread and made some soup. It was rather good; we scoffed it whilst watching “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat”; Lord Lloyd-Webber has arranged for some of his musicals to be available free to the public on You-Tube for a limited time during the ongoing coronageddon.

There’ no denying that today wasn’t quite the day I was planning; I can’t pretend to like the current lock-down, but I understand the rationale behind it, and if I have to abide by it, I will make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment