5 April 2020 (Sunday) - Early Shift



I had a relatively good night; I *think* one of the dogs might have had a growl in the night, but they do that.
I watched an episode of "The Good Place" as I scoffed granola then had a look at the Internet. Silly memes and jokes were in abundance, but unfortunately so was utter misunderstanding (again). One vague acquaintance was posting messages of stark terror having drawn completely the wrong conclusion from the fact that there is more than one strain of the corona virus, and this left me in something of two minds.
On the one hand there is no denying that many people aren't that well educated and really should try to better themselves. On the other hand some people do themselves no favours by reading stuff they really don't understand, confusing themselves, and then showing their ignorance by trying to tell the world something which is factually wrong.
Am I really being that judgmental when I can't help but think that if more people had paid attention at school they would know better than to believe the drivel posted on-line by other people who had paid even less attention at school.

There was a surprising amount of traffic about as I drove to work at seven o'clock this morning. More so than most Sunday mornings. Where was everyone going? (bearing in mind it was seven o'clock on a locked-down Sunday morning).
As I drove to work there was something on the radio about how maggots can be used as forensic evidence. I would have liked for the people presenting this information to have explained how, rather than having them continually repeating themselves. But I suspect that this information might have turned the stomachs of the very few people who were listening to the radio at that time in the morning.
The news then came on. There was talk of the new leader of the Labour party having a go at the government's handling of coronageddon. I suppose he has to have a go at them; that's his job. But realistically no government would be able to do much more than the current bunch have done (without declaring martial law). My main concern with the new leader of the Labour party is that we might have yet another one determined to make himself unelectable. The Labour party have a habit of doing that. Jeremy Corbyn, Gordon Brown, Neil Kinnock, Michael Foot… Sometimes I wonder if the Conservative party gets to pick the Labour leader, or whether the idiotic choice of leader is a clever move on the part of the Labour party in that they get to criticise the government of the day safe in the knowledge that they will *never*  actually have to put their money where their mouth is.

I got to the works car park. With a few minutes spare I walked round to Tesco for bread and margarine. I went to pay; the woman on the counter pretended to be busy so I used the self-service thingy. When I went to shove my card in the slot I saw just how grubby the card reader was so (bearing in mind just how hygiene-mental the world is right now) I asked the woman at the tills how often the card reader was cleaned. She (rather contemptuously) replied "I don't know - I just work here".
Well, if she don't know...
I've seen a lot of people posting on social media about how much abuse shop workers are getting at the moment. But from my own experience shop workers aren't helping themselves very much right now.

I went in to work and did my thing As I did I found myself whistling all the songs from "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat" that were going through my head after last night's TV performance.
I spent quite a bit of time looking at the glorious day outside, but I wasn't missing much today. With the world on lock-down none of my friends were doing anything more adventurous than sitting in their own gardens. I sat in mine yesterday; it's not that exciting an activity really.

With work done I came home, and we took the dogs round the park for our daily exercise. There were quite a few “normal people” in the park. One rather idiotic child stood on a bench and started some odd fidgety dance whilst making strange noises. Apparently he didn’t like dogs… I considered telling him that if he didn’t like dogs then he shouldn’t try to deliberately attract them, but I thought better of it.
The people who hide painted rocks had been out; we saw a few, but decided against moving them. Not for fear of the virus, but from the public backlash of doing something (supposedly) so reckless.
In a novel break with tradition the dogs were terribly behaved. Fudge wasn’t too bad, but Pogo and Treacle ran off twice.

This evening we watched the Queen’s address to the nation. Apart from her annual Christmas speech, the Queen rarely talks to us in this way; coronageddon must be serious for her to do so.
I must admit I was disappointed.
I have no idea what I was expecting, but just to have Her Majesty repeat what we’ve all been told (in an address which was recorded a few days ago) was something of a disappointment. Mind you, on the plus side, the Queen looked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment