12 April 2020 (Sunday) - Locked Down Sunday


I woke at four o’clock feeling rather restless. I got up, had a shave, then went back to bed and slept for five more hours.
Over brekkie I sparked up my lap-top. I had a message from my professional body. The Institute of Biomedical Sciences have recently made their Facebook page public rather than private. They’d made some comment about how the page wouldn’t be regularly monitored, and as you can guess the thing had immediately become a sea of petty squabbling and bickering. I’d messaged them to say that they really needed to monitor it. They messaged back and said they felt that they shouldn’t have to. I agreed that they shouldn’t have to… but told them that they did need to.
It didn’t help that some of their most senior figures were those who needed the most reining in.

There was also a squabble kicking off on the “Geocaching in Kent” page. A puzzle had been set for people to solve. I wouldn’t say it was a “difficult” puzzle. Geocaching puzzles aren’t “difficult”. A third-level differential equation is difficult. Geocaching puzzles require ridiculously convoluted and imaginative thinking. One of these might start off with a little story about fishing…so… Jack Hargreaves was a famous fisherman from the seventies… Glam rock was about in the seventies… One of the prominent glam rock band were Slade… so far from being about fishing, the puzzle is actually all about Noddy Holder.
And it doesn’t matter that hardly anyone can solve it… once one person has solved it, the answer soon gets shared.
I still haven’t solved this puzzle.

I then told the world about today’s album in my list. My Sparks album of choice - “No 1 in Heaven”. Rather an odd one for sixth place?
Anyone who knows me would have thought that Sparks would have appeared *much* earlier in the listing and more than once. But I did say that my listing will be listed alphabetically by album title, and only I’m only allowing myself one album of any group,
But why choose “No 1 in Heaven”? It’s not really high on anyone’s list of favourite or well-known Sparks albums. To be honest there’s probably half a dozen Sparks albums that I actually prefer. But the challenge is to list albums “that greatly influenced my taste in music”, and “No 1 in Heaven” was the first Sparks album that I ever bought… more than forty years ago in 1979.

We took the dogs out for a walk – up through the Memorial Gardens and back through the park. We met Bernie as we walked, and had a socially distanced chat, and sparked up the WhatsApp to speak to Jose in Folkestone too.
I saw that a friend had long-distance deployed a Munzee in the park with me in mind too…
We came through the co-op field and Fudge and Pogo were decidedly un-moral with a passing Jack Russell.

I then spent another afternoon reading Alexei Sayle’s biography whilst drinking a variety of eastern Europeans beers until I finally dozed off.
"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good dinner which we scoffed whilst watching an episode of “The Heist” and being long-distance reiki-ed. I must admit I was rather sceptical about reiki, but my knee has been giving me gyp for a few days. What with the GP on lock-down and A&E having far more than me to worry about, I thought that a dose of long-distance reiki couldn’t hurt.
I don’t think it did any harm…

No comments:

Post a Comment