4 December 2018 (Tuesday) - Cheese and Wine


For once the dogs were still and I slept well. I woke feeling full of energy ad raring to go… some three hours before the alarm was due to go off. After two hours and a half of laying waiting for the alarm I gave up and got up. I had a quick look at my Lego advent calendar, then scoffed more deluxe super berry granola (with full fat milk) whilst watching another episode of “F is for Family”.
With a little time on my hands I wondered what had happened on the Internet overnight. There was very little kicking off on Facebook, and with no emails not going straight in the bin I got myself ready for the morning drive to work.
I had to scrape ice from my car's windscreen this morning. Regular readers of this drivel will know that this marks the official start of winter.

As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how Parliament is to spend the next five days discussing the Prime Minister's proposed Brexit agreement before voting on it next Tuesday. Five days - what a waste of time. Bearing in mind that it is a foregone conclusion that the thing is dead in the water and the only uncertainty is exactly how many hundreds of votes it will be defeated by, surely it would make sense to have the vote now and get on to the next stage of the Prime Minister's ongoing humiliation. For all that she has a rather impossible job, as Prime Ministers go this one is rather crap, isn't she? Which is a shame.
Mind you I was rather heartened by the interview ​that the pundits then had with Ofsted's chief inspector of schools. Insisting that parents should take *some* responsibility in the pastoral care of their children she was tacitly admitting that teachers had some such responsibility as well. This was utterly denied by the teachers of the fruits of my loins in years gone by; I'm glad that schools now have admitted that they do have some input into the care and well-being of their charges. After all they spend far more time with children every day than anyone else does.

I got to work and did my bit. usually I'm rather hungry during the day (which is why I am of a more rotund physique). I wasn't today or yesterday. I'm attributing that to the success of deluxe berry granola with full fat milk. Good stuff.
Mind you I had a shock when I looked in the mirror. (Or more of a shock than usual). When I saw my new shirt in the shop I thought it looked rather sexy. And by implication so would I. But when wearing it I look just like Rufus Roughcut's stunt double. I suppose that's not a bad thing. It is probably better than looking like one of the Slag brothers. Not that anyone would remember the Slag brothers. Or Rufus Roughcut, come to that.

The journey home took longer than my usual journey home from Maidstone. But I had none of the problems of the motorway, and being the festive season the villages of Goudhurst, Sissinghurst, Biddenden, High Haden and Bethersden were all rather pretty with the Christmas lights.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed with a bottle of plonk and chased down with a decent helping of cheese. We try to do this at least once a week; the dogs quite like it. As we scoffed we watched the final of “Lego Masters”.
They are asking for applications for the next series…

No comments:

Post a Comment