25 December 2018 (Christmas Day) - The Evening Was Good...


As I came home last night there was a burglar alarm making noise on the house two door up the road. I reported it to Kent police who (to be fair to them) came out right away. They had a look round the house, didn’t find any burglars, and cleared off leaving the thing still making noise. I phoned the police again at half past eleven. Apparently the police have no control over burglar alarms; it is quite legal and acceptable for a burglar alarm to make noise all night long, but if I go out and clout it with a hammer, that constitutes criminal damage.
New-next-door came home about midnight and all went quiet. Apparently they’d somehow “disconnected” it. I wonder if the alarm survived the process? I hope not.

I didn’t sleep well. When I am wide awake in the small hours I sometimes get up and watch telly. I watched an episode of “Bottom” at three o’clock (nudey wombles), put the dishwasher on, and went back to bed for an hour or so. I tried to sleep; I got up at six o’clock for a shave and to empty the dishwasher before trying to sleep again.
I got up at eight o’clock. "er indoors TM" stayed asleep.

Over toast I had a look at the Internet. Some Muslim friends had proudly posted photos of the Christmas decorations in their house; clearly showing that Christmas is no longer a “Christian” thing (if it ever was).  And then I had an email – a new geocache had gone live not ten miles away. I leapt into action and sped out to the back of beyond. Joe and Andrea had parked their car two minutes before me, but a joint First to Find and climbing a tree before nine o’clock on a Christmas morning can’t be bad.

With the First to Find found, "er indoors TM" and I took the dogs for their morning constitutional. They don’t understand nonsense like Christmas. As we walked we smiled sweetly at all sorts of people. Several people were out on new bikes and new go-karts and new scooters. Pogo only picked two fights.

We came home and did the pressie thing. I had a rather good haul. We then started a bit of a tidy-up in readiness for the tribal gathering tomorrow. I say “we started”; "er indoors TM" worked wonders; I spent much of the afternoon asleep on the sofa with Fudge.

I eventually awoke, and having settled the pups we walked round the road where we spent a rather good evening being pampered by friends. Meats, prawns, cheeses, champagne, probably half a bottle of port just for me.
We really should do that sort of thing more often.

"er indoors TM" is now asking Siri how to boil up a turkey. I’m not getting involved…

No comments:

Post a Comment