19 December 2018 (Wednesday) - Between the Night Shifts


During a break for a cuppa in the small hours during last night’s night shift I saw that an American friend of mine had taken up the book challenge on Facebook, and quite a literary discussion was going on. I saw that as something of a result.
And with the night shift done I came home through a very wet and windy morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking to the Home Secretary about his plans for the immigration policy of a post-Brexit Britain. He dismissed the concerns of hospital chiefs who have made it quite clear that they are dependent on immigrant workers (what *do* you do when not a single UK national applies for a given job despite its being advertised time and again?). And after dodging several direct questions and then claiming that he was very clear on his policy I think it is fair to say he is completely out of his depth and hasn’t got a clue what he is doing.

I had intended to take the dogs out on getting home, but the rain put paid to that idea. Instead I had a quick look-see at the Internet. Not much had changed since I’d last looked at six o’clock. I posted up my fifth book of the ongoing book challenge (Arthur C Clarke’s “The Songs of Distant Earth) then went to kip.

I woke about mid-day finding myself somewhat constricted by two dogs on top of the duvet on either side of me. I hoiked them over, and went back to sleep. Apart from that and two “Red Alerts” (one from Pogo, one from Fudge; both false alarms) I slept reasonably well. I finally emerged from my pit just before four o’clock. It was still raining.
I gave the world today’s installment of the Lego calendar saga. The world seems appreciative so far.

"er indoors TM" should be home soon. She was on another day off today and had taken "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" to see Santa. I would like to have gone. If I wasn’t working again tonight I would have gone. But I’m getting too old to be able to manage with that little sleep.
(I’ve asked management if I can do night shifts one-at-a-time. They’ve said they will see if they can accommodate it. Here’s hoping.)

A bit of dinner – I’m off to work again. The day between the night shifts is usually dull. Today was no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment