18 December 2018 (Tuesday) - Before the Night Shift


When one of the dogs has a restless night, so does everyone else. If I had been on a day shift today I would have phoned in sick after the sleepless night I had. If the cover wasn’t being pulled off of me, I was being trampled over.
I gave up trying to sleep.

Over toast I had a look-see at the Internet. A friend of a friend had taken offence. The friend had posted an anti-Brexit post to which the friend-of-a-friend had replied with a rant. I’m sure there are many and various good reasons for Brexit but this woman hadn’t given any. Her argument was that if she considers something to be true then it automatically is so, and doubting her word gives personal offence. I pointed out the principles of reasoned debate, and she got the arse.

I posted up today’s book (The Many Coloured Land – fourth of seven) then had a look at my in-box. Amazon were (again) suggesting I buy that which I’ve already bought from them. Angling Direct had sent yet another email (they promised me it would be once a week at most!). LinkedIn hasn’t sent anything (for once) and there was a message from a friend about a possible geo-adventure in France. But perhaps the most interesting was from the council. Apparently they have been out and checked the street lighting round our way. They are in something of a quandary in that for all that the light meters show that the illumination is at the requisite level, it is still too dark to see anything. Interestingly the south Ashford Community Forum have also been complaining about the poor lighting on the footbridge between Victoria Road and Elwick Place. The council have responded by closing the steps to the bridge.
I see that as an admission that the lighting is inadequate.

It came as something of a surprise to find that "er indoors TM" was off work today. Together we took the dogs round the park. Walking three dogs is *so* much easier with help, and a day at home before a night shift is much less lonely with company.
We had a rather good walk round the park. Pogo did play nicely with other dogs today. We met “OrangeHead” and her posse. I didn’t quite laugh out loud, but she is so funny. When I meet her on her own she is chatty. When she is with her posse, she doesn’t say a word. She leaves the talking to her cronies; clearly seeing conversing with the proles as being beneath her.

With dogs walked we came home and over coffee and cake watched “Death on the Tyne”; a UKTV special for Christmas. It was rather good apart from a costuming blunder in which the epaulettes of the ship’s first officer kept changing from one shot to the next. Watch the show and watch his epaulettes. In one scene he will have three bars on them. The camera moves to another character and comes back to the chap who now has four bars on his shoulder. The camera cuts to someone else, comes back and his shoulder has three bars again. And so it catties on changing for the whole show.
You would have thought that continuity people would have sorted something so obvious.

I went to bed for the afternoon. Bearing in mind the terrible night’s sleep I’d just had I would have thought I would have slept rather better. I got up to find "er indoors TM" watching “The Secret Life of Pets” on Netflix. She then spent a few minutes trying to get the dogs to wear Christmas collars and hats.
Fudge wasn’t having any of it.

We’ll have dinner in a minute… then the night shift…

No comments:

Post a Comment