20 August 2026 (Thursday) - A Busy Day Off

I slept well. I got up to see there had been more rain overnight. That was something of a result. I made toast and had a look at Facebook as I do. It was still there and much the same as ever. Lies, disinformation and blather persisted as it always does. When you think that I’ve got over seven hundred people on my Facebook list I see posts from maybe twenty of them. Pretty much everything I see is either “you might be interested in” (which I never am) or adverts for small businesses hundreds of miles away.
But it keeps me occupied in the mornings.
I had an email. My car insurance was due. Thirty quid less than it was last year. I saw that as a result and snapped it up. Last year it went up and I wasted a morning shopping about only to find I couldn’t get it cheaper anywhere else.
 
I took the dogs out. Over the last few days with time pressing we’d been to Orlestone. We can put the leads on, go to Orlestone and be back home drinking our cuppa in just over an hour. Kings Wood is a shade under three hours if the traffic is good, but we had the time to spare today, so that’s where we went.
As we walked we met two other groups of dog walkers. One was chatty, one was not. We chased a few squirrels, we didn’t roll in anything… or anything that stained anyway.
 
We came home and had that cuppa two hours and fifty minutes after we’d set off. I Munzed, and Wordled. Google said the best starting word to use in Wordle was “slate”. It lied. It didn’t give me a single letter at all. So I tried again with “bruin” (as I couldn’t think of any other word). And then it was serious brain straining. “Rough” didn’t help me any more. “Furry” was a step in the right direction, and I got it on the fifth go with “murky”. As I’d Wordled so we had a torrential rain shower, but it went as quickly as it came so I decided to crack on in the garden.
 
Before I started I put a load of washing in to scrub. I then cleaned out the pond filter. I lined the two planters we got on Sunday, filled them with compost and potted the lilac and the thing we got from “My Boy TM (must find out what that is). I weeded the pots. I planted the violas we bought on Sunday. I pootled and tidied. I voomed round with the bionic burner. The bionic burner is a rather good gadget. It’s not as good as the adverts claim: it doesn’t “permanently eliminate weed roots from the ground” but it certainly gets rid of the weeds for longer than just pulling them out by hand does.
 
“er indoors TM returned from a shopping mission. Whilst out she got me a pressie – a bag of wild rocket. Ostensibly a salad condiment; I’ve chucked it into a floating pot in the pond. The water cress is doing famously, so the rocket might. Or might not. Time will tell; it always does.
 
I had some sausage rolls (with mustard – oh yus!) for lunch then set about ironing my shirts. They always iron better when still wet from the washing machine.
And then I tried to spark up my old lap-top. I’d spent an age trying to get the later Adrian Mole books on MP3. And failed. All I could find was audibles and spotifys and things which seem to depend on a decent internet connection, and my car doesn’t have one. So I got the sixth book on CD and thought I could copy them like I did the other week.
My old lap-top flatly refused to work. It spent two hours trying to do an update. Eventually I lost patience with it, and despite the warnings I pulled its plug. It then allowed me to log in… but that was as far as it would go. Oh, I got cross with it.
After a lot of stress I pulled its plug and we took the dogs to the marsh for a little outing then on our return I sparked up the old lap-top again. This time it worked fine and happily turned my new CDs into MP3s.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up fajitas and we scoffed them whilst watching this week’s episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds”. It was a rather good episode. One of the best, I expect most of the fans will hate it…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment