I slept through till nearly five o’clock this morning,
and then lay dozing with Bailey for a while before giving up and getting up. I
made toast and had a look at the Internet.
On the one hand I should stay up to date with current
affairs, on the other hand it boils my piss. This morning people were ranting
about the early
release of prisoners, the
ongoing drought… People were ranting about the
current sad state of affairs and blaming the government for everything. A lot
of the furore was being stirred up by the opposition politicians whose policies
led to the current state of affairs and who did nothing about it when they were
in a position to do so.
I Munzed, and hearing the dogs getting up I turned off
the lap-top and got ready for the off.
We drove up to the woods listening to the pundits on
the radio spouting their usual drivel. Once parked we set off in the general
direction of the geocache of mine that had been reported as missing.
It was.
It had probably been trashed during the recent
coppicing so I popped out a new one. The people who reported it as missing
could have done the same in less time than it took them to report it missing, but
there it is.
We carried on round the woods. For some reason the
squirrels were active today. Certainly more so than usual. The dogs chased
several. But for all that we saw squirrels we didn’t see much else. No deer,
and once out of the car park no one else at all. We did hear someone a hundred
yards from the car park shrieking at her dog, but that was all.
We came home listening to Adrian Mole’s diaries on my
MP3 stick. He’s now moved to London and is in love with Bianca. I know how that
is going to end… I realise Adrian Mole is a made-up fictional character who
doesn’t exist, but I do think that Sue Townsend (his creator) was rather
mean to him in all of the books.
Once home I made us both a cuppa and sorted a slice of
that walnut cake we’d got at the weekend. My mother and aunt used to make
walnut cake all the time when I was small. I can remember never being that
fussed about the stuff then. It’s my favourite now.
I Wordled. “Round” gave me nothing, and neither
did my second go (table). “Picky” was a step in the right
direction and I got it with “wimpy” on the fourth attempt.
I went out to the garden. Yesterday I mentioned that
we’d been given some pond plants in floating baskets. Late last night I’d
hoiked the biggest one out as “er indoors TM” had
spotted that it was top-heavy and had capsized. This morning that big one got
re-potted into the bog filter, and I secured its now empty floating pot to the
other floating pots. I then sat for a while alternately reading my Kindle and
watching the fish eating the new plants which were overhanging the floating
baskets.
I came in as it was rather hot outside. I wrote
up some CPD. I spent a little while running some puzzle geocaches
through Chat GPT to see if it could solve them. It solved maybe a third of the
ones I tried.
We did “FEED THE FISH”, I watched an episode of
“Stranger Things” and we then loaded the dogs into the car for the
evening’s adventure.
Once we’d done the evening’s cat feeding we drove down
to an obscure lane on the Romney Marsh. This evening was (probably) the last
solar eclipse that I would be able to see (the next one will be in 2081).
Looking on-line it seemed that the masses were descending on Lydd and Wye downs
to get a good view. I suspected no one had considered Ham Mill Lane, and I was
right. With no one else around for miles (and we could see around for miles)
we had a good view of the western horizon. We cracked out the pinhole camera and had
a look.
As we fiddled about so my phone was beeping. The works
WhatsApp group was going mad; we had quite the virtual eclipse party swapping
photos. It had to be said that the best photo was from a colleague who was on
holiday in La Coruña
(in Spain) where the eclipse was total.
It was gone eight o’clock by the time we got home. Too
late to cook – we had KFC for tea…

No comments:
Post a Comment