23 April 2024 (Tuesday) - This n That

I slept well. I woke to the sound of “er indoors TM”’s alarm, then went back to sleep. As did “er indoors TM. I woke an hour later, woke everyone else, and made toast. The toaster was being difficult again; it cooked the toast but wouldn’t let it go.
Once I’d extracted it I scoffed it as I peered into the internet. I saw that there’s a minor issue with the geocaching app I use. For some reason it is no longer available on Google Play, and the chap who made it says it isn’t financially worth his while to re-list it. He intends to launch it as a new product, and rather than making a one-off payment he wants people to pay a monthly fee. The chap is talking of a tenner a year or a quid a month.
I will happily pay as I use the app not just for geocaching but for finding my way all over the place… but when you think about it you see the chap ain’t daft. Why settle for a one-off payment of ten quid (which I paid years ago) when you can get a regular stream of cash every month?
And there was a load of jingoistic ranting about St George’s Day on one of the local Facebook pages from those who haven’t realized that the British Empire is long gone.
 
I got the leads on to the dogs and we went for our walk. When I made the decision to archive loads of my geocaches that were all over the place and put out loads in Kings Wood, it was because having them all there would make maintenance easier. I could do it on a dog walk. And that’s what I did today. Over the weekend I’d had two reports of issues. One missing cache and one broken cache. Neither were anywhere near a car park and they were a mile apart. In a round trip of four miles we replaced both and found a spot for another cache. The dogs chased squirrels… I say “chased squirrels”; for every squirrel they chased there were a dozen shadows.
 
We came home for a cuppa, and then I managed to get all of the rubbish I intended to get rid of into the car and set off to the tip. Unlike many previous visits, today’s tip run passed off rather uneventfully, which was something of a result.
And then I went to B&Q…
I needed an outdoor power socket. They weren’t where they used to be. I asked an assistant where I might find them. He grunted and waved in the general direction of the other end of the store. I eventually found what I wanted, but couldn’t find a plug to go with it. I asked another assistant who just said “aisle eleven”. I explained I’d been up and down aisle eleven but couldn’t find them. She repeated “aisle eleven” and turned her back. As I was again looking in aisle eleven a third assistant came past. I asked for help; she snapped she was too busy to help me. I told her not to worry; I would go to Wickes. As I walked out three more assistants were sneering at the customers struggling with the self-service tills. So far this year I’ve spent over a hundred quid with them… can’t say I’m very inclined to spend much more.
 
I drove into town. Having a few minutes spare I went into Starbucks and treated myself to a fudge Frappuccino. It was rather good.
I then went on to the bank. Sadly the woman on the phone yesterday wasn’t much help, but the chap I spoke with today was rather good.
I came home via Wickes where the staff were cheerful and helpful, and I got what I needed. The outdoor power socket I bought has a wi-fi booster so maybe I will be able to use the house wi-fi in the garden. That will be fun…
 
Once home I took the dogs up the garden to do the “Feed The Fish”; fish feeding has become one of the highlights of their lives. I thought about cracking on in the garden, but decided to have one day of not doing hard physical labour. Instead I wrote up the website for the new geocache I found a location for this morning. I shall hide the thing tomorrow.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a very good dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the last episode of the current series of Hunted”. It strikes me that these contestants make hard work of it. If I was a contestant, once I’d got away at the start (and that would be the trickiest bit) I’d lie low for a few days shave my head and grow a beard… and that’s the face recognition CCTV stuffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment