9 August 2023 (Wednesday) - Bit Tired

 
When I first started blood testing (all those years ago) we would only do blood tests on seriously urgent cases in the night. Being called in from home for each case it was rare to have more than half a dozen samples all night long. Last night I did over fifty blood counts and over thirty haemostatic (clotting) investigations.
And (in all honesty) by today's standards it was a rather quiet night.
 
I spent much of last night's shift thinking about an email my professional body sent me yesterday. They are launching a new initiative: "Become a biomedical scientist”  and are trying to get current biomedical scientists involved. Part of their email said: "While it is every individual’s own responsibility to inform themselves and make their own decisions when embarking on their career, as a professional body we have a greater responsibility to enable our future members to make the right choices at the right moments in their lives".
With that in mind I really can't get involved with this initiative.
Have a look at this table which compares the average pay rates for different careers (the data comes from official UK big data sources). What I do isn't listed (no surprise there) but the average pay for someone in my job is not much different to that listed for rail travel operatives, road construction operatives and office managers. But the average pay rate of what I do is after several years in post following a minimum of four years at university and includes (frankly rather poor) enhancements for working outside of "routine" hours.
I don't want to appear negative, but anyone considering the "right choices at the right moments in their lives" must consider money and work-life balance.
On the one hand people can choose to go to university for years and run up massive debts to then take on a job which involves being contracted to work at any time of night or day on any day of the year.
On the other hand people can choose not go to university and have a job which gives them evenings and weekends either free, or paid at sensible overtime rates.
There are those who might claim "there is more to life than money". But in my experience they are either rather naïve and impressionable youngsters with no experience of life, or those with far too much money.
Knowing what I know now, I would never work anywhere that doesn't periodically put up a "closed" sign.
 
As always I was pleased to see the early shift arrive. Just as they arrived so my phone beeped. A new geocache had gone live just down the road from work. Having got a First to Find on the way in to work last night I got another on a little diversion on my way home this morning.
I then set off homewards feeling suitably smug.
As I drove home through a clearly utterly unnecessary "Operation Brock" the pundits on the radio spouted their usual brand of nonsense. One bit made me sit up and take notice though. As India looks set to become the fourth country to land a space probe on the Moon it turns out that the UK has sent them over two billion quid in foreign aid over the last few years.
 
I got home, and went to bed for a few hours. After a late brekkie I took the dogs for a little walk. We went to Pets at Home to collect the tick collars I’d ordered. What with one thing and another I’d not sorted those early enough this year, but when we pulled a tick from each dog yesterday, something had to be done.
Pets at Home was hard work. The dogs were very over-excited, and having everyone wanting to fuss them was just a nuisance I could have done without. Usually I’m only too happy to have them fussed, but I’m never on top form after a night shift.
 
I spent the afternoon ironing then sleeping whilst watching episodes of “Shameless”. “er indoors TM is sorting dinner. That and a bottle of plonk after last night’s night shift hopefully should be good for a decent night’s kip.
Here’s hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment