4 August 2023 (Friday) - Early Shift

 

I woke feeling full of energy and raring to go... at twenty to two. I then dozed on and off and eventually gave up trying to sleep, made toast and watched an episode of "Shameless" before setting off to work. Again (like last week) the bin men were being rather considerate and weren't deliberately blocking the road. What's going on there?
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how the electronic giants have got the arse as the average punter isn't trading in their old mobile phone at the earliest opportunity any more. The average punter has realised the folly in shelling out for a new phone whilst the old one is still perfectly good. And consequently the electronic giants aren't getting quite so much easy money.
And the High Street favourite Wilco (so it was claimed) is going tits up. The chap being interviewed on the radio summed up Wilco when he said that their business model was to fill the gap in the market left by Woolworths when they went belly up. Do you remember Woolworths? Did anyone ever go to Woolies as their first choice when buying anything? Woolies sold everything, but nothing of any quality. Woolies was the last place you went to for anything; usually out of a sense of desperation. Not really a sound business model, was it?
 
I got to work (via several Tree Houses - it's a Munzee thing) in time for the early shift, but the boss asked if I might stay for an extra couple of hours. On the one hand I wasn't keen. On the other hand I didn't really mind. Had I come home I would just have walked the dogs through the swamp that is Orlestone Woods, and getting filthy is something I've done enough over the last few days.
 
I came home a couple of hours later than I might have done. “er indoors TM boiled up fish and hash browns (we’d run out of chips!) which we scoffed whilst watching the most recent episode of “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds”. It was rather good. I spotted half a dozen little throwaway comments linking to the original series; there’s plenty of continuity there if you pay attention.
It’s a shame that one of the leading characters is going to die. I won’t say which one though, but it ain’t the captain…

No comments:

Post a Comment