25 August 2023 (Friday) - Plastered

 

I didn't sleep very well last night, and gave up trying to sleep whilst it was still dark. Being still dark I didn't see all the stuff we'd moved out of the back bedroom onto the landing so we could get the room plastered, and promptly fell over it all.
Oh, how I laughed. Mind you I was amazed (and grateful) that the dogs didn't spring into "Red Alert".
I came downstairs and fell over the wooden reel I'd brought home yesterday.
 
I made toast and watched an episode of "Shameless", then had a little look at the Internet. Apparently there are gangs of teenaged thugs on the beach at Hastings hurling stones at passers-by, and (as is always the case) the police are nowhere to be seen. It was suggested that gangs of decent people go and "have a word with the children", and (just maybe) break the arms that throw the stones.
I can't help but think that if the police aren't going to do the job for which they are paid then this might be the way to solve the problem. After all, gangs of vigilantes wouldn't have to render many teenagers incapable of throwing stones before they got the idea.
 
As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about power bills. The energy price cap is to fall so the amount that power companies will charge us will be capped at less than it has been. So our leccie and gas bills will be less than they were. However last year the government gave us all sixty quid a month for half the year to help pay our leccie and gas bills, and they ain't doing that this year, and so effectively the price of power will rise
Some windbag was being interviewed about bills; I don't know who this idiot was, but he was billed as something big in the energy sector. He said the answer was obvious... if people used less energy then their bills would be less. So there we are... shiver, have a cold shower and eat raw food.
 
Work was work. I spent much of it with a rather annoying earworm "Bertie, Bertie, Bertie the wonder glow-worm. He doesn't burp. He doesn't fart. He rides around in a hovercraft".
Where on Earth did that come from?
I also found out that not only had Alvin Stardust been dead for nine years, his real name was actually "Bernard". I'm not sure why that should have been quite such a disappointment to me, but it was.
 
I came home, and had a look in the back bedroom. The plasterer had finished and done what looks like a good job to me. Certainly it’s a better finish than anything I could do, but the burning question is “will the stuff stay stuck on the wall?
Time will tell; it always does.
Mind you I’m not keen on putting shelves back up on the new wall – I think I might shop around and see if I can get some free standing shelves.
I then got a coat of wood preservative onto the top half of my huge wooden reel (that only took half an hour!) then as “er indoors TM watched a German webinar about flogging candles I had a look at the monthly accounts. There’s no denying that they are far better than they were a few months ago. As part of this month’s sort out I organized the last payments from Dad’s estate – that only took a year to sort out.
Having said that, given the choice I’d happily go back to what the accounts were and have Mum and Dad back… but I’m not given that choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment