30 October 2020 (Friday) - Before the Night Shift

I was fast asleep when the bin men came crashing up the street at half past six this morning. If the crashing hadn’t woken everyone, they then started shouting up the street to each other (just to be sure). Finding myself wide awake I took the dogs for an early walk.

We drove down to Orlestone Woods where we found an empty car park. We walked our usual circuit and didn’t see another soul. Fudge straggled behind, sniffing everything as he bimbled. Treacle and Pogo chased each other and had a whale of a time. Remembering the tracks I saw in the mud on Monday I looked to see if anything huge had been prowling overnight. I saw a few of what might have been deer tracks, but there were no monsters today.

We walked for nearly an hour and didn’t meet anyone else; we came back to a car park which was as empty as when we’d left it.

 

As we drove home the pundits on the radio were talking about how Jeremy Corbyn has been suspended from the Labour party over the ongoing row about anti-Semitism. Is it rife in the Labour party? Has Mr Corbyn done wrong? I don’t know, but I do know that Mr Corbyn has done something to offend the media. When did you last hear anything positive about the chap? Anything at all? Ever? If he said that the sky was blue and grass was green, there would be headline news denying it. But this is not just about Jeremy Corbyn. One of the top union leaders has announced that this latest debacle could well cost the Labour party the next election. Will it? I can’t help but wonder if this is a deliberate ploy by the Labour party to do just that. Over the years they have bent over backwards to make themselves unelectable, and when you look at what the Conservatives have done over the same time period, making the Labour party a worse choice must have taken some doing.

 

Once home I made some toast then peered into the Internet. I used it to send out birthday wishes, to capture a cyclops and help build a reindeer (it’s a Munzee thing), and to see what I’d missed overnight. I hadn’t really missed much.

I then wrote up some CPD and ironed shirts before going into the garden to clear up all the fallen leaves. There is a huge tree in the garden of the house three houses down the road. In the summer it blocks out the sun; in the autumn it fills the back garden with fallen leaves. I’ve whinged at the people who live there (many times) who assure me they’ve told the landlord, but nothing gets done. I emailed the council about it this morning.

I then went through my letter rack. There were letters going back nearly two years. Whoops. Perhaps if people sent less “crap” letters I might take more notice of the ones I did get. I saw that I had over a year’s worth of bank statements even though I get my bank statements on-line. I logged into my bank account and sure enough the thing was set to on-line statements only (and has been for some time). I asked their automated system why they were still sending me paper statements. It replied “Unfortunately your query is slightly too complex for me to understand. Please ask me again using a single sentence, bearing in mind I work best when I am asked one question at a time”. So much for technology, eh? So I phoned the bank and spoke to some woman. Over the noise of her baby crying in the background she assured me that I don’t get paper statements.

Oh, how we both laughed.

 

I programmed “Hannah” for tomorrow (hoping the weather holds out) and took myself off to bed. I managed to stay there for four hours despite dogs barking for various trivialities during the afternoon. One advantage of having "er indoors TM" working from home is that she can quieten the dogs when I’m trying to sleep before work.

I woke to find that the council had replied to my earlier email. However they aren’t going to do anything as the tree is on “privet land”. I considered writing back to say that the tree in question was a sycamore and not a privet bush but thought better of it. 

I’m hoping "er indoors TM" will boil up some dinner, then I’m off to the night shift… Not keen on night shift on a Friday, but to be fair I’m even less keen on night shift on a Saturday, so I can’t grumble…

No comments:

Post a Comment