18 October 2020 (Sunday) - Early Shift

I woke feeling full of beans and raring to go, looked at the clock, and my heart sank when I saw it was only quarter past one. One of the dogs then dared to fidget, and "er indoors TM" spent much of the rest of the night in a pitched battle with fidgetting dogs. When she wasn't fighting with dogs she was snoring. I gave up trying to sleep shortly before five o'clock.

I was rather pleased to see that the kitchen was a turd-free zone, but I suppose it had been too early for Sid to have "done" anything. I made toast, and watched an episode of "The Job Lot" before peering into the Internet. Not a lot had happened overnight; to be honest it was probably far too early on a Sunday morning for much to be happening. But I was rather sad to see all the memories that Facebook was posting up for my perusal. If not for coronageddon, this weekend would have been the Hastings bonfire parade. We've had such fun there over the years. I suppose this year's entire bonfire season has gone west.

 

I was rather relieved to have been able to drive away to work this morning. Partly relief at not having to blag "er indoors TM"'s car, and partly relieved that the roads were clear. Yesterday all sorts of rumours were spreading that our road was to be dug up this morning and that there would be no vehicular access either to or from the roads round home. Back in the day the council would stick signs to lamp posts and pop leaflets through your door about this sort of thing. These days you just get third-hand rumours via Facebook.

As I drove the farming news was on the radio. There was a lot of talk about a horse-riding school in Brixton. The people being interviewed made a great fuss that the place wasn't just a riding school; it did all sorts of other things too. But no one seemed to be able to list a single activity that this place offered other than horse riding. The people running the place made great show of the huge running costs that the place has, but how they bent over backwards to make the place affordable to all.  As I listened I was reminded of my time as a scout leader when we too made enormous efforts to subsidise what we did for people with far more money than we had. And (from what I've heard) scouting still does that.

 

As I drove through Biddenden a car flew past me (at probably double the speed limit). Driving like an idiot is all very well, but it is best not done in quite such a memorable car. If any of my loyal readers see a rather huge car with the registration "W 8EAR", give it a wide berth.

 

I got to work. There's no denying I hadn't wanted to work today, but apart from a simultaneous double whammy from both the Kidd and Kell blood group systems the day wasn’t a bad one. An early start made for an early finish, and with a few minutes spare I popped up to Paddock Wood where I did a little Munzee resuscitation. But only a little. When the sticker has faded beyond only recognition there is only so many that you can replace before you run out of Munzee stickers. Another reason why I’m leaning more to Munzee over the old Tupperware game is that they actively encourage you to be helpful to each other in replacing missing things and keeping the game going.

 

I came home to find "er indoors TM" in the garden gathering turds. In a house with more dogs than sense, gathering turds is a full-time occupation.

She’s also got herself a new plant. It is purple.

 

Wonder how long dinner will be…?

No comments:

Post a Comment