20 September 2020 (Sunday) - Stuff

I was woken by the sound of a dog whinging. Pogo had fallen off the bed and wanted to come back up, but he didn't dare as Treacle was guarding the high ground. I pushed her away, lifted him up, settled them both, and found myself wide awake.

I came downstairs and left Sid sleeping; he looked so peaceful. I got myself a bowl of granola and watched another episode of "Away" in which our heroes had started endlessly squabbling. It makes for good TV, and I suppose any people in close proximity for so long would wind each other up. But would NASA mission planners *really* send so many quarrelsome and argumentative people packed in like sardines on a three-year mission to Mars?

I then had a quick look at the Internet. There was a lot of nastiness kicking off on several of the Facebook groups about the American band "Sparks". The singer has announced he's not a fan of Donald Trump. Some fans have backed him, and other fans have attacked those fans who backed him. One of the posts amazed me - it was claimed that one can support Donald Trump whilst not supporting his attitude, the things he says or the things he does or any of his policies. (I couldn't work that one out - democracy - you can't beat it, can you?)

I checked my emails to see I had over a hundred "Found It" logs on geocaches I'd hidden, all of which were glowing with praise. But I had one "Did Not Find " log which rather boiled my piss. Someone who has found over twenty thousand geocaches had announced that because she couldn't find the thing it must be missing. There is an arrogance amongst some hunters of Tupperware in that if they cannot find a cache they feel it must be missing. She also felt that because someone else hadn't found it several months ago I'd clearly done nothing about it in the meantime and that was very remiss of me. She felt I should have disabled the listing and sorted it out.

I get "did not find" logs on many of my geocaches with annoying regularity. They are usually followed by "found it" logs because the person who originally did not find it simply did not find it. It was there all along, but they didn't see it. If I chased after everyone who can't find what is there I'd never do anything else.  If I get two or three "did not finds" on a particular film pot then I'll go have a look.

Perhaps if this person hid more caches themselves they would get "did not find" logs of their own and would realise what is involved with them. It was a shame she had to be so arrogant in what she wrote in her log.

 

Leaving everyone fast asleep I staggered down the road to my car. Perhaps sixteen miles yesterday was a few too many? I drove a mile down the road (much easier than walking) to see that the geocache which was supposedly missing was still hanging where I'd left it. I sighed, then went round to the petrol station. I arrived just as they were opening; at first my heart sank when I saw the road cones closing off the forecourt but then I saw a chap removing them. I tried to exchange pleasantries with him; he didn't actually tell me to f... off. Some people just don't do mornings, do they?

 

I then set off in the general direction of Tunbridge Wells. As I drove the radio was all of a vaguely religious and spiritual nature (as it is most Sundays). Having been incredibly religious in the past I find it amazing that once I would have sympathised with the stark nonsense that was being broadcast this morning.

A wheelchair-using vicar was going on about how the ongoing pandemic has been a good thing since having scuppered much of society it has made people more appreciative of those in wheelchairs (no - I didn't understand that). Said vicar was also saying how her church now transmits on-line services because they *don't* have access to the Internet (no - I didn't understand that either).

And then there was an ex-scientist who packed in his job in research and became a policeman. God had (apparently) told him that because he was of African extraction he would be the ideal person to combat the institutional racism inherent in the metropolitan police. And so he spent thirty years being despised by those with whom he worked... because it was God's will (!)

 

Pausing only briefly form Munzical purposes I was soon at work and doing my thing. I wasn't that keen on having to work today, but it kept my mind off of an aching body. And it wasn't that long before I was on my way home again.

 

Once home "er indoors TM" and I drove out to Challock. Some chap had set up a stall in his garden selling various garden pots, planters and statues. There were hundreds of pots and planters; all hideous. And most of the statues had lumps bashed off of them.

We then went on to Dobbies who were selling all sorts of tat. Why is it that people will quite happily pay vastly inflated prices in a garden centre? Mind you they had half price cake and half price ale, so the trip wasn’t entirely wasted.

 

We came home and had some of that cake with a cuppa whilst I struggled with a geo-jigsaw. I woke up an hour later when "er indoors TM" came home from shopping. I didn’t hear her go out.

 

"er indoors TM" boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we washed down with that bottle of red wine I bought from the Bidden Vineyard a week or so ago. Dinner was excellent – the wine was a disappointment. At twelve quid a bottle I’ve had far better from Aldi at less than half the price… 

I wonder if I will still ache as much tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment