18 August 2020 (Tuesday) - Caen Locks and Wilcot

A cold night; having got warm and cosy I woke in the small hours to find that "er indoors TM" had secured most of the duvet, and that Pogo and Treacle were weighing it down. I gave up trying to sleep, and came downstairs where I spent a little while posting photos from yesterday’s adventures to the Internet before sending out some birthday wishes.

With everyone else still asleep I made myself another cuppa, emptied (and fixed) the dishy then sat in the garden and watched the fat pigeon. Obviously the thing is accustomed to having full run of the bird bath in the garden, but he was rather dubious to go near it having had Pogo shouting at him yesterday.

 

Bearing in mind yesterday’s GPS failure, I programmed “Hannah” specifically for where we had in mind today, then set about a spot of brekkie. The weather forecast wasn’t good, but we set off toward Devizes and Caen Locks. Waving at a passing dinosaur (!) we were soon at Caen locks; a series of twenty-six locks on the Kennet and Avon canal used by pleasure boats going along its length. Tracy’s brother and his family were on one such boat and we spent a rather good few hours watching the locks in action. Fudge was particularly fascinated by how the boats would suddenly drop down.

We met some other geocachers who were working out a field puzzle. Having overheard that they had solved the puzzle I walked over, introduced myself, and offered to swap a photograph on my trackable tattoo for the solution that they had just come up with. To my amazement they readily agreed.

 

Having helped the family boat to the bottom of the locks we drove into Devizes and the Wadworth brewery for a rather large tin of 6X, and for half an hour (or more) in what must have been the world’s slowest car wash. The chaps working there seemed more interested in winding up the dogs rather than washing the car.

 

With car eventually washed we then drove out to Wilcot for a shortish little geo-wander. There were eighteen geocaches there all of which had received rave reviews from the geocaching community. Some of them really were works of genius; some unfortunately once were works of genius but in the intervening years have been replaced with film pots under a rock.

 

We came home where we had the most amazing curry for tea. It was *so* good, and there was quite a lot of it too. So much so that there is probably enough left over for a spot of brekkie tomorrow…

I took a few photos today (as I do). I’m going to bed before I wake up and find myself asleep (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment