17 February 2020 (Monday) - Week Off - Day One


For once Fudge spent the night on the bed next to me. He rarely does that these days.
Over brekkie I watched an episode of the new series of “Inside No 9” which starred Sarah Solemani. She seemed to be incredibly familiar, but looking on Wikipedia she hasn’t been in anything I’ve ever seen. Why do I think I’ve seen her in other stuff?
I also had a look at Facebook and at my emails. There was absolutely nothing at all of note on the Internet this morning.

I got the dogs onto their leads and we set off. We drove over to the garage in Willesborough where the car was booked in for its annual MOT. My car is something of a worry; the original plan was for me to have traded it in sometime in 2014 but events conspired against that and I found myself not in a position to be able to afford a replacement car back then. So I made the decision that I would run the car until it died and worry about a replacement some time in the distant future.
Six years later…
The car is old. I don’t really know the first thing about cars. How long will it last? Should I bite the bullet and get a new one? I can’t help but think that my car is now thirteen years old and so has no resale value at all, and all the time that it is running it is saving me the cost of another car (which could just be trouble).

We dropped the car at the garage and started walking home. We hadn’t gone more than a couple of yards when the dogs all went mad. They’d seen a rabbit on the verge. The poor rabbit had its head stuck in a discarded crisps bag. What could I do? I couldn’t leave the rabbit, but bearing in mind what happened the last time that the dogs got near to a rabbit I dared not get any closer to it. Fortunately one of the normal people was walking past, so I got her to pull the crisps bag off of the rabbit’s head.
After that, the rest of our walk home was rather dull.

The weather forecast had been dry until nine o’clock when the rain was due to start. And the weather forecast wasn’t that bad. We got home just before half past eight, and we beat the rain by minutes.
I gave the dogs their brekkie, set the washing machine loose on the laundry, and my phone rang. It was the garage. My car had failed its MOT. There were several advisories (they will keep) but the burning issue was that I needed two new tyres.
The nice man in the garage arranged to have them fitted.

As the dogs snored I got the ironing board out. No day off work is complete without doing a spot of ironing. I ironed for a couple of hours whilst watching a film on Netflix. “Wine Country” passed the time and kept me amused as I sorted the laundry.
I then played Lego for a bit. Regular readers of this drivel may recall that a week before Christmas I got a job lot of Lego. I paid ninety quid for a load of stuff. The maxifigures in that package were worth more than ninety quid. Today I had another look at that load and made up a little Shell filling station following the instructions that came with the job lot. That same Shell filling station set is currently for sale on eBay for a hundred and fifty quid.

Just as I finished Lego-ing so the dogs went mad. The postman had been. Amongst the mail was a letter from the British Blood Transfusion Society (you never knew there was one, did you!). They’ve officially declared that I am an associate of the British Blood Transfusion Society and am entitled to use the letter “ABBTS” after my name. I wonder if that should go before or after the “BA” and the “FIBMS” that are already there?
I then dozed in front of the telly until the garage phoned to say the car was ready. I walked over with the hounds to get the car.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner then went bowling. I watched an episode of “Titans” which I really didn’t understand, then had a look at solving some geo-puzzles.
I didn’t solve many…

No comments:

Post a Comment