23 February 2020 (Sunday) - Bit Dull Really


I slept for ten hours last night. Probably the result of a combination of my own bed and a CPAP machine. Leaving "er indoors TM" and two dogs fast asleep I came downstairs where Fudge was equally out for the count.
I had a shave in a sink which drained away a lot faster than the last one I used, and set the washing machine going, then made myself some brekkie. Two slices of toast has just been a starter these last few days.

As I scoffed toast I had a look at Facebook. Not a lot was going on, but a new geocache had gone live five miles away. Some friends had birthdays today; I sent out messages as I do. I wonder if they will walk eight miles through the mud before scrubbing three filthy dogs and think they had a rather good time (like I did).
I wasted far too long peering into the Internet. I hung wet washing on the clothes horse, put Treacle’s harnesses in to scrub, and thought I might just chase the First to Find on the new geocache. I was beaten by ten minutes. Had I gone out right away I would have been first one there.
Mind you, as geocaches go, this one was amongst the oddest I’ve ever seen. It was a medicine pot taped (upside-down) to a metal bar and will probably not last a month. It had been put out by someone who had only found two caches and (sadly) it showed. Mind you this is the way of the noble and ancient art of hunting for film pots under rocks these days. Fewer and fewer of the people with any experience are hiding the things. Those few which are being hidden are by the inexperienced and are (sadly but frankly) “on the crap side”.

We took the dogs round the park for a little walk. The walk passed off reasonably well in that we didn’t end up in a barking match with any other dogs, which is always something of a result. We came home for cheese on toast, and I then filled out the questionnaire for Ashford Borough Council’s resident’s survey. I was one of ten thousand lucky residents who had been chosen to share my views. The questionnaire was odd. What did I think of this council service or that council activity…? I had to tell them that I was blissfully unaware of much that the council does. I got in a dig about the utterly inadequate street lighting, so I suppose the questionnaire wasn’t a total waste of time.

The plan for the afternoon had been to collect "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM"  and take him to the Museum of the Moon exhibit in Rochester cathedral, but he declared he didn’t want to go. So we just delivered a birthday card and went to get dog food instead. As we drove down the bypass so two boy racers flew past. We were travelling at forty miles per hour; they must have been going at eighty. Just as I was about to swear about them there was a frantic roar of sirens and flashing of blue lights. The car behind us was an unmarked police car. It flew off after them and caught one of them at the roundabout. Oh how I laughed.

With nothing else planned for the day, "er indoors TM" announced she was going to do some cleaning. I could also have done some cleaning. Instead I played Lego. The train which runs round my Lego world was particularly noisy, and the battery cable was a bit of a mess. So I swapped out the motor for a quieter one and re-built a carriage so as to hide the cable. It looks a bit better – you can see it by clicking here. I think the next stage will be to take out the clear Lego windows on that carriage and put in some minifigure passengers.
As I Lego-ed my phone beeped. I had a message. Two weeks ago I whinged here about my Adventure lab geocache. Having caught some Swedish chap who’d blatantly cheated at it, I’d messaged him to ask him to delete his shenanigans. I’d had no reply, but today he was running a geo-meet in Sweden. I posted on there (for all the world to see) that if he was going to cheat and log my adventure lab in Ashford from six hundred miles away, I was going to log his meet from six hundred miles away too. Several other people followed my lead, and we shamed the chap into deleting his cheat-ery.
All rather petty and trivial, but there it is.

I then spent a little while struggling with geo-puzzles. Geo-puzzles are… I won’t say they are difficult. Calculus of imaginary numbers is difficult. Geo-puzzles involve finding the most random of connections. There was one I’ve been fighting with for years, and eventually today I asked a friend for a pointer. It turned out that a puzzle supposedly about respiration, breakfast, dogs and kites was actually about a toddler’s TV show.
This one was doubly frustrating in that the puzzle icon on the map was quite close to somewhere that we will probably be walking in the not too distant future. But the actual location (once solved) is over a mile away. So there was a *lot* of brain-strain for a cache I will probably never actually log.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a very good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching this evening’s episode of “Doctor Who”. I want to like the show, but I don’t actually like any of the main characters in it at the moment. Perhaps I might have liked the episode if I’d stayed awake for more of it?

And in closing today, did you know that Jens Nygaard Knudsen, the chap who created the Lego minifigures, has died?

No comments:

Post a Comment