6 October 2017 (Friday) - Off To Havant



The night shift went rather well. I came home, and after very little farting about we set off on our little weekend break. "er indoors TM" drove, and I dozed as best I could until we got to our first stop. We were going on a little geo-ghost hunt.
Our first port of call was Goodwood race course. Needless to say we had geo-business there. There is a trig point overlooking the race course; the most spectacular views, and even concealed Tupperware too.
From here it was a short hop to Goodwood aerodrome. There was a statue of a famous pilot (I won’t say who), and the graves of some of Britain’s top Formula One drivers. And then we went into West Wittering to find a plaque commemorating one of Britain’s more famous engineers.

By then we were hungry. We thought we’d picnic on the beach. The signposted beach wanted to charge us four pounds to park up. Four pounds! – sod that. We drove for a few hundred yards and parked for free. We found a rather good beach overlooking the Isle of Wight and had a rather good lunch. It was only a shame the waves were so loud.

From here we drove to our hotel in Havant. Have you ever ben to Havant? I thought it was posh. It isn’t. We had a little wander, spectacularly failing to get anywhere with that geo-puzzle I thought I’d solved yesterday.
We went back to the hotel for a crafty pint, then "er indoors TM" went off Ingressing and Munzeeing whilst I went back to the room for a little snooze. I was tired after the night shift. I thought I’d have a quick shower… disaster. My shaving foam canister had exploded in my wash bag. Fortunately the wash bag contained it, but there was shaving foam everywhere inside the thing. Woops.

I slept for an hour or so then got up just as "er indoors TM" returned. We went down to the bar where we met Mark and Sam. We had a crafty pint then went through to dinner, where I was amazed.
When we’d arrived the hotel staff made a big point of saying how full the hotel was, and how we needed to book for dinner, and how if we didn’t we’d go hungry. We walked into an empty restaurant. That’s not “not very busy”; that’s “empty”. Bearing in mind the place was supposedly full I wonder where everyone else had dinner; Havant didn’t seem to have anywhere else to eat.
Dinner was rather good, and with dinner scoffed we walked up the road to a sixteenth century pub that "er indoors TM" had found. That was something of a disappointment; it had been refurbished inside and it didn’t look sixteenth century at all. But we had a good time, and pausing only briefly for geo-reasons we made our way back to base.

The bed’s a bit soft… but I’m rather tired…

No comments:

Post a Comment